Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I thought this video was helpful as I don’t do test the pole before I put in the surge protector. I typically just put the surge on flip the switch and check the lights on the surge that tell me it’s safe to connect. Then I shut the breaker off and hook up cord. This might be a good extra step as a precaution.

Power check

Very well done video. HOWEVER, the dangers he states ARE IN FACT tested by a higher end EMS protector such as the PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES unit that we use.

It reports all of the tests that he is using a multimeter to do and has saved us on one occasion in the past year.

Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector (50 A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9MOY7B/?tag=rvf01-20

Very well done video. HOWEVER, the dangers he states ARE IN FACT tested by a higher end EMS protector such as the PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES unit that we use.

It reports all of the tests that he is using a multimeter to do and has saved us on one occasion in the past year.

Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector (50 A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9MOY7B/?tag=rvf01-20
Exactly right! And, in looking at the video, the surge suppressor he's using does the same thing. Doing a system check with a multimeter and then having your surge suppressor perform the same tests doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. OTOH, if your surge suppressor does not do those tests, then using a multimeter is certainly a good idea.

I will stick with my PI EMS-PT50X, though I do carry a multimeter (Fluke 87) for use in a wide variety of testing situations.

TJ

About 40 years ago I worked for a while as electrician's helper. One day we go to a dock with bunch of bare wires sticking out from the 50A box. The boss tells me "go ahead and wire it up". Are you kidding? I have no idea if it is hot? He spits on his thumb and forefinger and start grabbing wires one by one. "you are fine he said Go ahead "o_O ?

Old timers.......

About 40 years ago I worked for a while as electrician's helper. One day we go to a dock with bunch of bare wires sticking out from the 50A box. The boss tells me "go ahead and wire it up". Are you kidding? I have no idea if it is hot? He spits on his thumb and forefinger and start grabbing wires one by one. "you are fine he said Go ahead "o_O ?

Old timers.......
I knew an old-time auto mechanic who tested spark plug wires that way! "Yep, that one is weak." :oops:

Every time I got near one of those things with the engine running, it bit me good. I have no idea how ol' "Brownie" was able to do what he did, but I never copied his technique.:ROFLMAO:

TJ

As a young man I also was an electrician's helper. It was a short time in that job as during the first week the "oldtimer" stuck a screwdriver into a live three phase high voltage commercial laundry main circuit box to pry on something. To this day I can remember him being blown across the room, being deposited on the far wall in a lump.
Needless to say I was in shock. After what seemed to be an eternity, he woke up, rubbing has hands and shaking his head.
He had successfully shut down the power of the strip mall we were in, the transformer circuit breaker on the power pole outside was smoking.
Needless to say I have a tremendous respect for electricity to this day.
BTW that was my last day as his helper :oops:

For under 10 bucks, you can get a 120VAC recept tester. Wouldn't it be nice to have a similar device to confirm proper wiring is in place at the post before you plug anything into it? One for 50 amp and another for 30. Yes, some units do this, but I was daydreaming about a much cheaper replaceable item.

LIB...looky that. Just what I was thinkun, but more cost than thunk.
1594838824084.png

Attachments

• plug tester.png
    plug tester.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
After seeing this Progressive Industries item, I assumed it to be an old and discontinued item. I sent a question in to Progressive and just got a response:
“This is a new product for us and will be available shortly. I would follow up with Home Depot to determine when the may have inventory.”

Quite cool, a bit spendy since it’s redundant to my EMS- HW50C, but it would be nice if it came down to a sacrificial item...$60 vs $300.

After seeing this Progressive Industries item, I assumed it to be an old and discontinued item. I sent a question in to Progressive and just got a response:
“This is a new product for us and will be available shortly. I would follow up with Home Depot to determine when the may have inventory.”

Quite cool, a bit spendy since it’s redundant to my EMS- HW50C, but it would be nice if it came down to a sacrificial item...$60 vs $300.
Interesting product, but I don't think it would serve the "sacrificial" purpose you suggest. It appears to be a standalone test device rather than an inline one. It will certainly test the electrical parameters at the time it is used, but the inline EMS-PT50X or EMS-HW50C is constantly monitoring the power situation. I have had a couple of occasions where the power at the pedestal tested just fine when I first plugged in, only to go south later on.

TJ

Last edited:
I built one of these - works great, I keep it in the cord tub and use it before I start pulling out the cord to hook up.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back