Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I am hesitant about GE appliances. In my experience among neighbors etc. is a high failure rate, short lifespan, etc. But in the world of motorhomes they seem to be the rage so I decided to do my usual, experiment and see what happens. I removed my Whirlpool and put in a GE Advantium that I got a great deal on through Lowes both with my military discount and additional discounts due to some issues with a washer/dryer order and over 6 months of delays getting the LG items. I actually ended up really liking the Advantium, now going on nearly a year with it and have recommended it to others.

At the recent balloon fiesta one other RVer was having issues with the Whirlpool and it sounded like it was on its way out so I offered them to get the GE Advantium and I'd help install it. Them being @Buly. I also suggested to @ARD since she full times and loves to cook that she should get one too. It heats better than the Whirlpool both in oven and microwaving. In my opinion. So both of them ordered through Home Depot as HD could deliver the fastest based on our travels as we all went to Ruidoso Motorcoach together after the Balloon Fiesta.

Long story short, the installs went great and Buly's is working fine, Renees died after ONE use. Well, HD seems to have a 48 hour rule, after that you have to deal with GE service. This is wrong in so many ways. I'm not even sure how this 120V plug-in Microwave is a "major appliance" but we've both been fighting this fight and not getting anywhere. So she's been without an oven and I've been adding distance between us for my own safety. As she's at Newmar now we're working with HD in Mishawaka to try to get this resolved before the GE service date late November.

Moral of this story is DO NOT buy major appliances from Home Depot. Check the details of returns, service, etc. on this appliance prior to your purchase. Also be sure to get the protection plan / extended warranty. I just bought the 3 year addition on my GE Advantium as Lowe's just emailed me the 1 year manufacturer warranty is coming to an end. I jumped all over that.

Live and learn. Several have installed this with success, one is a DOA sadly.

I hope this works out well for ARD. And, I hope the Advantiums hold up well, despite the glitch with hers. LadyDi raves about the Advantium we specialed into the MADP. She hated the Whirlpool we had in the 2014 Ventana LE!

TJ

Rumor has it @ARD is eating again, GE service fixed her Advantium. Apparently the wire connections internally were not secure and hence the failure. Probably a fire hazard as well so glad she's fixed up and hopefully now she can enjoy the Advantium and start her new RVForums Cooking with your Advantium YouTube channel :)

Glad to hear it. I felt bad for her having another thing break down

Latest resources

Back