Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
I've been building/assembling PCs for a number of years. Laptops have always eluded me with the glued in parts and general disassembly/assembly challenges. Well all that has changed, a very innovative laptop designed for the ever changing GEEK requirements. The most exciting part is the changeable ports, need an RJ45 port, or a USB 3, or vidio no problem.

Nice! What catches my eye is the compatibility with Linux, a must for me. Not sure there is value in the interchangeable cards, USB-C makes most laptops into a custom machine. But Nice just the same.

neat idea, personally don't see the need.

I've been a professional in IT for 35+ years (currently a CIO), built many PCs since 1977 when I was ~9 years old or so, my father was part of the testers for the original IBM 5100 so we had test units in the house in 1975/76

most laptops if properly configured when you purchase them (instead of just buying an off the shelf POS from best buy) are powerful enough and useable for almost anything the average person needs.

While there are a small group of gamers that still like to build machines, again to me not really needed, most laptops are quite capable and with USB-C thunderbolt 3 or 4, it is easy to add a graphics card expansion setup for gaming.

I have one, works well for my 4 27" monitor setup, my VR setup, and some other graphic heavy games, allows me to undock my Lenovo P15s and use it for work as needed without the external GPU setup.

I'm sure there is a market for it, but likely very niche, as most people have a hard time putting legos together, much less assembling a laptop.

I've done laptop builds as well, technically rebuilds, when the mainboard failed, and I had to disassemble the unit and install a replacement because my employer was too cheap to replace the laptop ($1,500 for a new one or $200 for a main board).

laptops are a PITA to build, the parts are too small for most people and break very easy.

Last edited:
We have an Apple Air and a HP laptop. Neither has a RJ45 adapter. The Apple is very limited as is the HP. I preferred wired stuff rather than WiFi or BT.

An example today, power outage, wicked storm. While the main house has battery power the routers for some reason went bonkers, no WiFi.
while I spent some time working around this and getting everything up and running, all my wired bits had no issue.

this adapter versatility is what caught my attention plus I like to build stuff😀

But all good points above

We have an Apple Air and a HP laptop. Neither has a RJ45 adapter. The Apple is very limited as is the HP. I preferred wired stuff rather than WiFi or BT.

An example today, power outage, wicked storm. While the main house has battery power the routers for some reason went bonkers, no WiFi.
while I spent some time working around this and getting everything up and running, all my wired bits had no issue.

this adapter versatility is what caught my attention plus I like to build stuff😀

But all good points above
I have a 2021 macbook pro and my P15s; neither of which have RJ45, interestingly enough my P15s has a built in Verizon hotspot though.

I carry this with me when I need RJ45 works for both PC and MAC:

in addition, my GPU expansion box (Sonnet eGPU Breakaway Box 750ex) has an RJ45 port on it so when it is plugged in to the USB-C I get everything I need including additional USB-A and USB-C ports.

I also prefer wired; it is significantly faster than most wireless and more secure.

Just my thoughts on PC's, Internet & other stuff. Feel free to disregard.
I support my son's business. I build all of the work stations , maintain the network & servers and develop most of the back office applications. As technology changes, I try to keep up. The type of work we do requires some heavy duty workstations.
I'm fortunate to be an IBM retiree & get a substantial discount on Lenovo products. Even with that discount, I can build a better work station for less money than I can acquire one from Lenovo. In addition, the ones I build are tailored to the job it does & is not 'goobered' up with alll the bloatware that comes with manufactured PC's.
We have recently started using some of the Lenovo Mini PC's as unattended workstations. Not sure I could build one at the price point I get with my discount. Then again, they are not pulling a load comparable to the workhorse wor kstations.
Laptops or notebooks are another story. The last notebooks acquired for the business were Lenovo P71's with Xeon processors,. SSD's, Sierra Wirless cellular modems & docking stations.
Our older stuff continues to function well with WIN 10 Pro. While we have tried to acquire the newer stuff with WIN 10 PRO (for continuity of interface), it's becoming more difficult.
I am full time in the RV. Connect to Starlink router as WiFi as Wan via Peplink. DISHY is on tripod with a lot of cable for placement to avoid obstructions.
While I agree with everything about wired ethernet connections, my LAN can handle more bandwidth than the Stalink satellite has ever ever been able to deliver. I see no need to complicate thing with Ethernet cabling.
Apologize for the ramblings.

Latest resources

Back