Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Things That Surprised You (Good & Bad), After You Started RV'ing?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dispatch

RVF Regular
What were some things that you did not know about (good and bad), that surprised you 'after' you got into RV'ing?
Thinking.gif

How little I knew about coaches. Took a long time to learn how things work and or operate. Made a lot of stupid errors along the way. Still learning.

You name it I did it. Proper tire pressures, driving and turning, electrical systems management, (Don't run your microwave, and all AC running with the TV on and the DW decides to use her curling iron or hair dryer), leveling the coach and bringing the slides in without full power. Trust me its a learning process. Eventually it is smooth sailing. A lot of it is learning your particular RV.

You name it I did it. Proper tire pressures, driving and turning, electrical systems management, (Don't run your microwave, and all AC running with the TV on and the DW decides to use her curling iron or hair dryer), leveling the coach and bringing the slides in without full power. Trust me its a learning process. Eventually it is smooth sailing. A lot of it is learning your particular RV.
My god man...

You didn't happen to have anything to do with the Kennedy assassination too did you?!
Grin.gif

Things that surprised me…
  • How much I dislike using hotels or VRBO/AirBNB
  • Dispite spending countless hours reading and studying how these things work, I still made/make stupid and costly mistakes
  • There isn’t just a “build quality” difference between brands/models but there are no consistent standards of how units are plumbed or wired.
  • Despite having a relatively mature automobile build process with standards in place, RVs are still built with very few of the learnings from the automotive world. Built in way someone would build something in a garage, just scaled up to a barn with a few more bays.
  • How much we enjoy having travel flexibility to move around and being able to see this great country of ours.
  • How much we enjoy being able to have our dogs along with us to explore and see their happy reactions - without having to pay surcharges to hotels/VRBO/AirBNB to be able to enjoy that

Yah think someone posted this before!

The best way to look for an RV is to look for manufacturers that have dedicated service departments at their factory! Rather than sending that part of their responsibility to dealers.

I know of one that has what they call a mother ship!

In My opinion, if you can't afford the pilgrimage, and don't feel you should have to fix it yourself, you probably shouldn't buy an RV!

As harsh as that sounds, and as harmful as that statement may be to the industry, the reality is these crooked practices, will eventually be what closes the door on the industry.

It has already changed the industry from an affordable way for the lowly class population(of which I am a member), could see the country. To another way those of means can play!

Rant! Maybe! But realistically, what middle class family, can afford something that is double the price they paid for their home!

Just say'en!!!

How nice it is to be able to sleep in my own bed, watch my TV, use my restroom, have my favorite recliner with me.
Finding out RV'rs are for the most part good, friendly folks.

Latest resources

Back