Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Thinking about having my Diamond Shield replaced….

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich W.

Retired Fire Chief
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3427
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
…so I’m looking for information. Mine is six years old, and is accumulating enough defects to start looking a little beat up, but not yet deteriorating like it was on my 2010 Bay Star. It doesn't have any cracks or checking and looks like it will come off in big pieces. So it seems like this is a good time. I’m also thinking about scheduling a trip to Nappanee whenever they have an opening so I could add this to the list.

So all that said, here are my questions:

1. Anyone have this done at the Newmar service center?
2. Where else have folks had it done?
3. What did it cost?
4. How long did it take?
5 Were you satisfied or did you encounter any issues?
6. Any other advise for addressing this?
7. Do you use Diamond Shielf specific products to maintain it, or just wax it?

Thanks in advance (TIA?) for any help or insights.

They had to replace my upper portion this past July visit due to damage from their prior windshield replacement. There is risk of paint coming off with it, I was lucky as it came off fine and new went back on fine, and then I took a rock strike that damaged the new upper section which has never been damaged to date! Yaye!

I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary. But if you want the details email [email protected] and get a quote and see what they say. Winter rates are better if you don't mind going Jan thru March.

I'll be watching this thread as I posted one a while back asking about how long it took professionals to remove the diamondshield, never got a response. I know they put it on in a day when I had my rv repaired from the tow truck damage at Gerzeny's in Sarasota FL.

An outside vendor had to be scheduled and brought in to do it. It started bubbling on my way back to IL so now when I go back for the winter they've got to do it again. Guaranteed for life supposedly.

They had to replace my upper portion this past July visit due to damage from their prior windshield replacement. There is risk of paint coming off with it, I was lucky as it came off fine and new went back on fine, and then I took a rock strike that damaged the new upper section which has never been damaged to date! Yaye!

I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary. But if you want the details email [email protected] and get a quote and see what they say. Winter rates are better if you don't mind going Jan thru March.
Yeah Im thinking another March run which means schedule way in advance then hope for a weather window. I did ok in 2020 going in but I was there 3 days longer than expected, and I hit snow in Missouri on the way south to 40. Having had my fill of driving a class A in snow, I try to avoid it these days.

Last edited:
Well I’m told there are no more March appointments at the service center for 2023. But February is still in play. So another question: What are my chances of getting in and out of Nappanee from the south-west in February with a minimum of snow? Any other weather is of no concern, but snow, having driven in it for decades in capable vehicles and a few times in Class A coaches with less than optimal results, is something I wish to avoid. Any “local knowledge would be appreciated. I guess there is always the Almanac…..

Can’t help you with the weather forecast😀. Just wanted you to know that Newmar doesn’t do Diamond Shield themselves, they farm it out to a vendor who comes in house. If you want the name of the vendor I can probably get it.

Can’t help you with the weather forecast😀. Just wanted you to know that Newmar doesn’t do Diamond Shield themselves, they farm it out to a vendor who comes in house. If you want the name of the vendor I can probably get it.
Thanks for the info. Makes sense. I might do that but its on a of several other service-center things.

Now I know why they wouldn't fix it up here. Gerzeny's originally said maybe we can get a vendor up there to do it for you in IL. Then they came back with It Absolutely has to be done here at our shop.
Makes sense. If paint comes off they're responsible to repaint it so it might as well already be there.

So what about a good product to use to maintain the existing film? The Diamond Shield website has all kinds of expensive products, and maybe its worth it, but is there a common sense approach that also works? Right now I just use quality car wax.
Their cleaning products page:
Also here’s their recommendations on R&R:
I like the idea of having it done in Nappane in case there is paint damage. I also need to look into thier “lifetime” warranty. Not sure what year they started that, or if it only applies to the original owner, or other limitations. Guess its time to call them.

Latest resources

Back