• Commercial/Vendors welcome

This is sad...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
RV rallies I've been to someone offered a RV driving safety course or something along that line. I believe it's more of an intro such as getting your significant other in the driver's seat and basic driving, parking, etc. As to crisis prep, that would be valuable but haven't heard of an offering.

I would gladly pay for, and travel to, I location with a simulator.

RV rallies I've been to someone offered a RV driving safety course or something along that line. I believe it's more of an intro such as getting your significant other in the driver's seat and basic driving, parking, etc. As to crisis prep, that would be valuable but haven't heard of an offering.
Coincident with the pickup of my Thor ACE, I did a two day RV Driving School class. Then, shortly after getting the Newmar, I setup another class, and while it was mostly to try and get my wife comfortable, I wanted to see any additional tips and corrections the instructor gave me having moved up to a larger DP over the smaller gasser.

I also did, RVDriving School when I got the Newmar. I alsospent at least six months watching every instructional video on commercial, bus,school bus and tractir trailer driving that I could find. By the time I got in the 37’ BayStar, I thought “this is is much easier than I expected”, since I was oreparing fir a 45 foot bus.

I then satin the driver seat of my buddy’s tractor-trailer. Bumping the dick, and ally dock parking would take some practice, but I don’t think I would have any trouble driving that either.

One can never have too much training. One of the best driving courses I eb
ver attended was mandated by the company I was working for. This was after 40 or so years of experience in many types of vehicles. It was taught by race car drivers and a firmer state trooper. It consisted of class room and in car (yours) maneuvering, and skid training. I really learned what that car could do. I also learned that there were a few things that I could employ better techniques for, that with which I was familiar.

And yes, some of those short 35 mph exits do require slowing down on the highway before entering. Iam reminded if a guy with a BMW, in the old days,
Who thought that 35 mph did not apply to BMW’s. He ended up paying fir a new rear end on the car.

I forgot about one once, and it was on,y God’s grace that kept it upright that night.

Last edited:
We also went to a Safety Rally early on and took a RVDriving Course. The course concept was pretty good, execution was far from useful. It was the last time Gail drove the RV.
Instructor, who was supposedly familiar with the area guided Gail into a low branch on a no shoulder narrow road. Immediately stopped to assess damage. Instructor then stated that our New Newmar with less than 1000 miles received its first of many scratches.
Lesson ended right there. Still asked for full price and a tip to boot.
Be careful with training personnel.

I pull a 36' Fifth wheel; i grew up in the country driving(sometimes before 16)large flatbed truck, trailers with hay from the fields. I've wondered the past couple years as trucks with triailers, i knew were over payload, passing me on the highway running 70mpm. I'm not for 'more government' ever i'm just surprised to think anyone can purchase a TT,5th wheel, or large coach(below CDL level) with no experience and take off down the road. Things can happen so quickley..

I'm not for 'more government' ever i'm just surprised to think anyone can purchase a TT,5th wheel, or large coach(below CDL level) with no experience and take off down the road. Things can happen so quickley..
Agreed,

When we did FPU at Newmar, they did take each of us for a drive down the street to familiarize us with driving the RV when we did FPU. It was relatively brief but covered the basics of a 40' Gas rig, CanyonStar.
Curious what will be covered when we pick up the DutchStar.
Here in Florida, all you need is the keys, insurance and a regular drivers license, and you are off!! Quite the change from your Toyota Camry, I'd say....

I've wondered the past couple years as trucks with triailers, i knew were over payload, passing me on the highway running 70mpm. I'm not for 'more government' ever . . . . .
I'm very, very much not for more government either but I would like to see the current rules better enforced when those disobeying them are putting me, my family and other motorists in danger. Accountability is a strong motivator and sadly absent in too many areas. Those who don't want or feel like they need adequate insurance force me to carry uninsured motorist coverage, I'd much rather others just be forced (as they're already legally required) to carry adequate coverage.

My bro was hit by a DA driving daddy's Pacifica with daddy's insurance policy (the man child [28] almost certainly was uninsurable on his own). Totaled the Pacifica, my bro's '16 Sienna & small trailer as well as a very clean '18 Accord. Excluding the Pacifica the damage done with real life used values was around $55K, kiddo had only $25K property damage coverage so everyone gets pro-rated. The replacement minivan at $50K sure as heck wasn't pro-rated, $200 to replace a $2500 trailer didn't go far and I'm guessing the Accord owner was equally fleeced.

I'm going to get a bumper sticker that reads: "Underinsured motorist coverage provided by the value of your spare kidney"

Latest resources

Back