• Commercial/Vendors welcome

This is sad...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

I did find a company in Indiana that does deliveries of new RVs for the manufacturers. This is just part of their business.

Before being approved to be on the road doing deliveries they have to pass scenarios on their in house simulator. They have different types of vehicles in the simulator, buses, class a motor homes, etc.

Going to reach out and see if they have ever thought of the advertising possibility by taking the simulator to different gatherings ( Newmar Kountry Klub, FMCA, etc ).

Seems like it is worth a conversation and, if possible to do, could get them a lot of good will in the industry.

Well, I watched the video. I hope I never have to deal with a blowout (rapid air loss) but if it happens, I hope I have the wherewithal to mash the gas instead of the brake. Seems like that would be a tough decision to make.

I typically drive with the engine brake on at all times (unless risk of hydroplane). On my last trip, after this post was made, I decided to try driving with it off as it will fight you in this scenario IMHO. In the end I ended up turning it back on. Pressing the accelerator will do the same, keep the engine brake off. I understand this concept but at some point you have to decelerate and I'm not sure how a "wheel" digging in is going to play in this scenario. I'd also like to get comfort drive to max but not sure I'd be able to get hands off the steering wheel. It's bad all around, it's been my never ending nightmare thinking I survived all these years as a fighter pilot, in combat, and my RV is going to do me in. :( I always thought I'd leave this world being run over by the ice cream truck, tripping while chasing him down the street, I hope that remains the plan. Yes, he drives slower now in front of my house.

A horrible tragedy. Not much is known at the moment what happened and the causation. I plan to monitor the findings.

I have two points of view on this.

First- In CA you need a class b non commercial license to drive a coach over 40 feet and it’s not trivial and incredibly time consuming. It consists of a written and driving exam in the coach and a health exam questionnaire to be completed by a physician. This might seen onerous to many but this and or some type of licensing requirement is not a bad thing. 40,000 lbs+ is not stopping on a dime. I took a class to prepare and I learned things I didn’t know.

Second, please raise your hand where a dealer four corner weighed your coach at delivery and explained tire pressures required for your rig. I bet not many. They just wave as you drive off to many happy memories until disaster strikes. I am shocked how many people learn about this long into their coach ownership. I was one too. Now it’s my religion. I check my tire pressures before every trip starts on the bus and the toad. I also check my tires in my morning walk-around before the driving starts visually scanning for any irregularities.

Could the accident have been prevented. I don’t know. Time will tell.

I agree with you 100% @sheridany. I think most of us are not qualified to drive these rigs at the time we get them. I can say I was not, it was terrifying and very concerning and at times still is. I've learned over time what to look for, predict what's coming, but it's still extreme risk. Even on my recent trip home, final leg, I had an eye opener, caused by me almost missing my exit.

I've learned these rigs can get away from you in an instant, without failures of any kind. If you're not staying on top of driving it, such as in a turn, it's over. I admit I on occasion fiddle with my phone in my car, I learned quickly my phone is a no touch when driving the rig. The very few times I have I'm surprised how quickly I almost got in trouble.

Another scenario that has opened my eyes about twice is exiting the highway (freeway for lefties) and realizing the off ramp is backed up! Imagine coming off the interstate at 60'ish to a turning off ramp where you can't see around the turn and find that vehicles are backed up now cutting your braking distance in half per se. It has happened to me where I almost ate a flatbed truck.

We all have many many many lessons learned of our driving these big rigs and I'm sure those towing fifth wheels or travel trailers have their stories too. I've posted before passing vehicles towing that look like their tow vehicles are not sized properly and I see swaying, etc. I watched a fifth wheel blow a tire in front of me, those tires often look far too small.

So yes, most of us lack training to drive these rigs and we could all benefit from more education, no doubt.

Another scenario that has opened my eyes about twice is exiting the highway (freeway for lefties) and realizing the off ramp is backed up! Imagine coming off the interstate at 60'ish to a turning off ramp where you can't see around the turn and find that vehicles are backed up now cutting your braking distance in half per se. It has happened to me where I almost ate a flatbed truck.
Just yesterday as I was preparing to exit the interstate in the bus there were two things I saw that made me react before the exit. A 35 mph sign for the off ramp and traffic waiting at the light. I slowed down on the interstate necessitating people honking. The distance from the beginning of the off ramp to the moderate lane apex wasn’t enough time to slow down if I maintained speed prior to the exit. I don’t regret slowing down for the sake of safety but others obviously disagreed. A good friend is a former truck driver has beaten into my brain that you can never be too safe in these rigs. Be aware and scanning constantly. The first time he rode with me within 5 minutes he said you aren’t using your mirrors. Scan your mirrors! It’s the little things I hope will keep us all safe.

First- In CA you need a class b non commercial license to drive a coach over 40 feet and it’s not trivial and incredibly time consuming. It consists of a written and driving exam in the coach and a health exam questionnaire to be completed by a physician. This might seen onerous to many but this and or some type of licensing requirement is not a bad thing. 40,000 lbs+ is not stopping on a dime. I took a class to prepare and I learned things I didn’t know.
When we lived in CA I traded my 30 ft gasser for a 41 ft DP and no mention of needing any license upgrade at purchase time or any time after. I was aware of TX, but hadn't heard that about CA. Dealer made no mention (no surprise there either) and I was woefully unprepared for the size difference. My wife was always surprised at how tired I would be after a normal day of driving, and I would tell her its because you cant lose focus even for a second. Heavy traffic I would always be scanning for a way out of anything developing on the road ahead, and scanning mirrors for other traffic passing me. Don't even get me started on the steer tire blowout, although I was surprised at how time slowed and I was able to think through attempting to accelerate and then just as fast abandon that for getting in the brakes as I realized we were headed for the median. I would endorse a simulator and happily pay for the experience if a vendor would make one available in a venue I was going to be at.

I would endorse a simulator and happily pay for the experience if a vendor would make one available in a venue I was going to be at.
That’s a great idea and one many could benefit from. It doesn’t matter if you are driving a class c or a Newell/prevost. Things can happen equally the same to anyone. I’d be first to sign up.

I’ll be making a couple calls this week to see if there is any interest from a couple companies in providing this at larger gatherings. One is a company that uses it to train their drivers and the other is the supplier of the technology.

How nice would it be to have a simulator session as part of a factory pickup - hmmm, maybe some additional calls.

Will post what I get regardless of the outcomes.

Latest resources

Back