Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Thor, Tiffin, Newmar is one actully better than the other?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
It seems like all the major names have premium levels built on similar chassis. The amenities are similar if not identical at the higher end. Is there a good reason to choose one over the other two? We like the Allegro Bus but we also like the Thor Tuscany.
Any insight from this group would be appreciated.
Thanks

I would go with Tiffin or Newmar before Thor.

My impression of Thor is they are more mass production focused while Tiffin and Newmar are lower quantity, higher quality and historically had more focus on customer service.

We went from a 40 foot Discovery on Freightline chassis to a 40 foot Newmar on a Freightline chasis and their night and day difference. The Newmar with comfort drive handles winds and just overall drives better and is more stable. Newmar is so much quieter inside the coach and just seems to be better built and less problems.

This was my suspicion hence the $100,000 price difference. Similar to Bayliner vs Sea Ray in the boating world. That makes narrowing the prospects easier.
Thanks

My personal observations specific to my experiences: When I test drove both Kountry Star and Allegro, there are differences that you may prefer. two things I liked about Tiffin was that the dash included things like carplay, active cruise and lane keeping (but that can be a pain and I turned it off in my car). Tiffin was also a little narrower and taller if I remember. I thought that would be easier to drive but now think the slightly shorter but wider Newmar more stable. My rig is happiest with 3/4 water tank and full diesel in its belly. A lot depends on the road surface and local winds too.

Compare the engines and trans, I seem to remember Tiffin was Spartan Newmar Freightliner. Newmar engine is 360hp in my model and does slow down on steep grades like the Saluda grade in North Carolina. But it gets you there and I would not want to go much faster even if I could. Since you are in Ca hilly driving might be important to you too.

Have fun, looking is always a great time.

I recommend you also take a look at how each manufacturer treats owners after the sale. Specifically, how their factory service centers are set up, and how owners access those service centers.

Newmar has, IMO, a world class operation in Napannee. Their new Service Center and campground are only a few years old and unquestionably state of the art. You make an appointment, show up the day before, and park in their campground. On the day of your appointment a tech shows up at your coach at 0600 and goes over everything to be done. You turn the coach over to him and he brings it back to your spot at 1400.

I watched a youtube video recently of the Tiffin operation in Red Bay. I was never so happy to own a Newmar as I was after watching that. No appointment, first come first served, show up and wait. Some owners sit and wait as long as two weeks. There is no comparison to Newmar.

Thor, I have no experience with. I know them only by reputation.

X2 on how each of those manufacturers treats their customers. We have only owned one Newmar product and one Thor product. Newmar covered a couple items for us long after our original warranty ran out. Added together these items would have cost us well over $5,000 or $6,000. However, Newmars attitude was that those items should not have failed and they were picking up all the expense. With our Thor coach it was more like "now who are you again?"

I àgree Fl Joe. I had a Thor and was treated same way and I live 1 mile from the service center. One big difference is Thor gets their units out the door as quickly as possible so employees can go home . Tiffin and Newmar do not operate that way . My vote would be Newmar

I will just say it! I will not own a production level Class A that doesn't have "Comfort Drive". I thought is hype and like V-Drive and but it is a real thing.

I purchased out coach used out of warranty and went the Newmar service center just to get AGS installed. When I got my bill their charge for the AGS and list of other punch items that I never requested to be fix with "NC" the cost column. Great service!

I prefer the hung wall construction of the Newmar and higher end Entegra Diesels. Both are better insulated too.

Latest resources

Back