• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Thoughts on Harvest Hosts

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I do all the trip planning, reservations, etc for our trips. Jerry does the driving, and all the hard work of maintaining our Dutch Star. I know there has been a bit of discussion on this subject, but hoping for more. We have paid for this for a couple of years, but have not used it once. I have been making reservations for a long trip, and have thought it would be fun to try one. However, nothing has seemed a good fit in the late spring, early summer for a big, heavy coach. I have no interest in grass or dirt parking at that time of year. Has anyone had really fun, interesting stays at a Harvest Host??? If not we will not keep wasting money. Many Thanks, Judy D
An alternative. I wish they would start building new RV parks with large screen sitting at your recreation vehicle and watching outdoor movies, on a big screen. Comparative to bringing back outdoor theaters. Can add many amenities as well from yester year! Bring back history!

I'm opting to not renew my HH membership. We have been members since 2019 and have had a number of quality stays and good times. So, here's why I am quitting:
  • It has become more difficult to find usable locations. While there are more locations than ever before, I have to open each one and read it see if it can accommodate a 45' motorhome (which most don't) and what type parking surface it has. Sometimes it rains and mud sucks.
  • The online reservation system is a problem. For most locations, we can no longer just call and make a reservation. We now make a request and the response is not automatic, yes or no. We have to wait until someone approves our request, which has taken up to a week recently. By that time, my plans are already made somewhere else.
  • I had a case recently where the host approved our stay about a month in advance, so it became part of our trip. We had already started the trip when I got a message saying that they had decided to no longer accommodate a 45' coach and that now their maximum is 40'. Well damn Sam, just make a new plan!
  • And, I finally figured out that paying for two flights of skimpy wine samples and buying a bottle or two, plus dinner, was a lot more money that just paying for a site at an average campground - one that has full hookups versus boondocking.
So, I don't have a problem with Harvest Hosts, generally I like them. But, they just don't work for us and the way we travel anymore

Making reservations is not taken in a personal manner anymore. Not even a first come, first basis situation. It is so competitive. Your usually put on hold or placed in a data bank of call waiting. Good luck with that! Lucky to even successfully find what you desire. Takes too long and good luck with finding something. Starts your trip out badly. Many choosing to just stay home. When the old fashion rule was destroyed by technology and money making, the camper lost out! What ever happened to good old excellent customer service? Why should you work hard, retire, and fight this madness? You could end up hating the thought of even making a reservation. Let alone want to go camping! The RV industry needs serious help! This is a serious matter that needs to be fixed!

I do all the trip planning, reservations, etc for our trips. Jerry does the driving, and all the hard work of maintaining our Dutch Star. I know there has been a bit of discussion on this subject, but hoping for more. We have paid for this for a couple of years, but have not used it once. I have been making reservations for a long trip, and have thought it would be fun to try one. However, nothing has seemed a good fit in the late spring, early summer for a big, heavy coach. I have no interest in grass or dirt parking at that time of year. Has anyone had really fun, interesting stays at a Harvest Host??? If not we will not keep wasting money. Many Thanks, Judy D
We just got back from our long trip and used them for 2 day stays. Yes we did park on grass and it was mostly Boondocking, but we stayed at cute little houses with farms. You had fresh eggs from their chickens, fresh jams, and jellies they had made and you met very nice people. We thought it was great.

Latest resources

Back