RV Length
43 ft
Chassis
Roadmaster RR10S
Engine
Cummins 400 ISL
TOW/TOAD
2010 Ext. Cab Silverado 4x4
I've got people wanting to buy my dually so I'll need something else to drive. Selling my 5th wheel so I don't need it anymore.

My original plan for a toad for our Monaco was to use our 2010 Silverado 4x4 ext. cab 6.5 bed truck as a toad. Wife drives it now.

Since I need to buy a vehicle I'm looking at Equinox and Colorado. Trouble with the Equinox is I couldn't pull my boat out of the water down in Florida to put it up in the storage yard for the summer when I leave, I'd have to ask for help and I don't like doing that. Also if I decided to move the 16 ft. box trailer I leave down there I'd have to ask someone to do that too.
I'm thinking of hooking up whichever I decide to use with the ReadyBrake system.
Silverado is naturally the biggest and has a camper shell so I could haul stuff in the bed and lock it up. It's also going to make my rig kind of long. I've never towed a car behind a motorhome before.

Silverado 6400 pounds
Colorado 4500 pounds
Equinox 3329 pounds.

So looking for thoughts from the experienced here. Fuel mileage difference, ease of towing difference, pulling grades (Monteagle twice a year). problems turning with the longer Silverado, etc.

400ISL, 10,000 tow rating on 2007 Monaco 42PDQ.

Thanks.

I've towed ether a Frontier pick up or Jeep Trailhawk behind my diesel pusher since 2011. I've not noticed any significant degradation of fuel consumption. I try to keep the RPM around1650 which is the sweet spot for the CAT engine.
Allow additional distance for braking, some degradation of performance on inclines, make sure you can exit or turn around where ever you go. I have Blue OX tow bar/base plate & Air Force One braking system. Hooking up & disconnecting fairly easy.

How about a new Jeep Gladiator pick up truck. They can pull more than a standard Jeep Wrangler, I believe they have a 7K towing capacity. The weight should come in probably 5500, since my Wrangler Sahara 4 door comes in about 4700 lbs.

PS... nothing tows easier than a Jeep.....

Jim P.

Because of the death wobble issues with some vehicles with electronic steering assist systems (vs hydraulic), I would pick a vehicle using hydraulic.
It's been reported with Jeep Grand Cherokees, Equinoxs and Jeep Cherokees. There's a fix for the Cherokees but still issues with the Grand Cherokee fix. Might want to check into this issue with the Equinox prior to selecting it.
Fortunately, I haven't experienced it with our Grand Cherokee yet but would think twice on getting a new one at this point until Jeep figures this out for the GP.

Because of the death wobble issues with some vehicles with electronic steering assist systems (vs hydraulic), I would pick a vehicle using hydraulic.
It's been reported with Jeep Grand Cherokees, Equinoxs and Jeep Cherokees. There's a fix for the Cherokees but still issues with the Grand Cherokee fix. Might want to check into this issue with the Equinox prior to selecting it.
Fortunately, I haven't experienced it with our Grand Cherokee yet but would think twice on getting a new one at this point until Jeep figures this out for the GP.
Our 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk tows like a dream. No wobbles.

Our 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk tows like a dream. No wobbles.
I've had zero problems with ours also and love our GC. I have though spoken with 3 owners who have experienced it..... On another forum it's posted extensively. Reason for my post

I've had zero problems with ours also and love our GC. I have though spoken with 3 owners who have experienced it..... On another forum it's posted extensively. Reason for my post
Wonder what the difference is?

Only a few months before we leave for Florida and no vehicles to be bought around here right now, not much of a choice.
I'm setting up the silverado as a toad.
We're leaning towards probably buying a Colorado next summer.

We tow a 2019 Colorado. Our first coach was a gasser, so we set it up for that with roadmaster set up and invisibrake system. When we shifted over to DP we just kept set up the same. Tows great, and has been a good truck for us.

Latest resources

Back