• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Thoughts on Toad

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I just ordered a ready brake system for the Silverado.
Blue ox baseplate, nsa Hercules 12,000 tow bar, supposedly everything I need all in a package for 2 grand.

2-3 week delivery time so plenty of time to install before we leave for Florida for the winter.

Just got the blue ox on the silverado after working on it for 3 days.
Not full days, I take my retirement seriously.

Tolerance stacking reared it's ugly head several times. Broke my cheap 1/2 inch drill I bought in florida last winter for putting in ground anchors to lash my box trailer down per resort regulations in half drilling the holes, bought a better drill. It almost broke my wrist when the bit caught. No room under there.

The video made it look so easy, of course that guy had his silverado on a lift. I quit crawling around under jacked up vehicles a few years ago , that's why my Monaco is at the truck shop. He also made the safety cable installation look easy. I couldn't find anywhere to snake the cable through, came in and watched the video again 3 times, he just zips it in there. I guess I'll look at again tomorrow. Wife had to leave for work. It's hard to work on something when it's your only vehicle, first time we've had that problem in forever. Actually we've never had that problem.

Still have to route the brake cable and the lights but I can't imagine that being as hard as this baseplate installation has been.

I was looking at a chevrolet traverse this morning for a 2nd vehicle. Wife says Can you flat tow it? I said I don't care, it doesn't matter. (I know I could) We'll be towing the silverado from now on unless we win the lottery. I'm not going through this again.

Amazingly enough when I was younger I took a 413 out of my 1971 Travco, had it rebuilt and put it back in. Also took out the trans and had it rebuilt and put it back in, it immediately leaked out the front seal so I took it out again and they admitted they had put the seal in wrong, and they fixed it and I put it in again.

I'm not short on mechanical aptitude but I've lost all my desire.

How about a new Jeep Gladiator pick up truck. They can pull more than a standard Jeep Wrangler, I believe they have a 7K towing capacity. The weight should come in probably 5500, since my Wrangler Sahara 4 door comes in about 4700 lbs.

PS... nothing tows easier than a Jeep.....

Jim P.
My crosstrek flat tows perfectly.

I bought a 2018 GMC Terrain yesterday. NOT flat towable so I don't have to resist the urge to try it.

I got my main brake cable and emergency brake cable FINALLY in a few days ago.

Now on to string the wire the length of the truck and wiring up the diodes and lights.

Latest resources

Back