Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

rrlb

RVF Newbee
I apologize in advance if this is not the proper place for my issue and my request for thoughts that you will read about. My wife and me have been searching for quite sometime for a RV that had all of our wants and needs. We finally found the one and like most buyers we were looking for the best price possible. We left the dealership on a Saturday without making an offer. On Tuesday morning the dealership called and made an offer that we discussed and then we called back with what we would pay. They agreed and took a down payment over the phone and sent a Buyers Order/Invoice with the offer details that we signed and sent back. This is when it gets weird. On Friday morning they (finance guy and the salesman) called and said they found a tear in the vinyl and were going to send it back to the manufacturer for repair and it could take 12 to 16 weeks to get it back. I didn’t quite know what to say but then they said they would be more than happy to refund the down payment or sell us another RV. I was still kind of in shock so said I would need sometime to think. Sooo here’s what I think. Two scenarios may have occurred. 1. The finance guy and salesman did not have the authority to make the deal and the owner said no and told them to figure out a way to not sale it to us or 2. Someone came in after us and offered them more and they want to take the new deal and are trying to get us to back out.
After asking them about both scenarios they assured us they would never do such a thing. After a few more phone calls they now say they can have the “vinyl doctor” fix it and if we are satisfied we can pick it up. The owner actually told us on the phone that he didn’t like the RV and personally wouldn’t buy one. Just all really surreal. I thought the experience was really positive up until the phone call Friday morning. Being first time RV buyers we really don’t know what think. Is are imagination running wild?

Welcome to RVF, @rrlb; glad to have you here. And, sorry you are having an odd RV purchasing experience.

From what you describe, it does sound like something is amiss. The story of a "vinyl tear" and it taking "12-16 weeks" to fix it doesn't pass muster with me. Most RV dealers want to make a sale TODAY and not postpone it for 3-4 months UNLESS there's a problem.

I think I would be inclined to take the down payment back and cancel the deal. There are likely other dealers that handle the same brand/model of RV you want and I'd look for one or more of them and try again. It might require you to travel a bit farther to make a deal, but I think it would be worth it.

I much prefer doing my price negotiation and purchase agreement on a face-to-face basis. That way, I can "read" the guy on the other side of the table. Facial expressions and body language can tell you a lot.

Good luck.

TJ

I agree. Get your down payment back ASAP. Go somewhere else. Something isn't right and they are being less than honest with you.

I believe you would be much better off taking your deposit back and since you have the info (make and model) you can search for one just like the one you were planning on purchasing.

Curious about how this played out?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back