Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
It's time to invest in some new rubber for Mr. Phaeton. I've not bought tires for a Class A motor home before and a couple of questions have come up.
  1. As long as the tires are all the same size, how important that all of the tires be made by the same manufacture?
  2. How important is it that the front two tires be "steer" tires?
  3. An suggestions on brand? I don't want junk tires on my MH, but the pricing of these monster ovals of black gold is between $365.00 - $600.00 per tire. Times 6 and that can be a large variation.
TIA,

Jim

Also help @Jim with where the tire discounts are. I think FMCA has a program available.

Well, here's an old tire guy's opinion, honed a bit with some racing experience.

Tires on the same axle should be the same size and brand (unless you are running a sprint car, then all bets are off :ROFLMAO: ). It is OK to mix brands as long as they are matched per axle and properly certified for highway use..

Steer vs drive tires is a little more complex. On a motorhome, it is usually OK to mount steer tires all around, but drive tires need to stay on the drive axles and not be used on the steer axle. Ideally, you would put steer tires on the steer axle and drive tires on the drive axles, however. And, that's what I think a good tire shop would...or, should...tell you. The difference between steer and drive tires has to do with tread design primarily, along with a bit lighter tread cap on the steer tires that are designed to withstand more lateral force when they are turned.

I haven't bought MH tires in a while as we have traded up in coaches before they needed new tires. We are members of FMCA, however, and would certainly use their tire program if/when we need new ones. I think it would be hard to beat the prices they offer...unless you know someone who owns a fleet of trucks and would let you piggyback on his pricing through a local tire shop.

TJ

Last edited:
Thank you very much TJ&LadyDi. That was an informative and well laid out explanation.

The Michelin 255 80 22.5 "street price" appears to be around $530 - $550. FMCA discounted price is approx $545 each. The XRV tires are Steer/All position tires.

From a tire course I attended a year ago, the chemical composition of RV specific tires vary from Line Haul tires somewhat. RV specific tires include more UV protection and possibly scrub protection, curb rash, than Line Haul. The XRV is designed for typical RV use, generally low miles, and will time out before it wears out. Consequently there is more UV protection chemicals to keep the sidewalls from excessive cracking during the expected 5 year life.

There is some discussion regarding the Michelin size vs other brands. The couple of things I took away is to watch for a compatible OD or circumference of the tires, overall tread width and more importantly the specified distance between the dual drive tires to avoid "kissing". Also the gap between the duals is important for heat dissipation as we discovered in Death Valley this year. The inside of the duals were running very hot in the 97+F weather.

Edit: And of course date of manufacture. I have read that when you see big discounts on RV tires from a distributor it may well be Old Stock they are trying to sell.

Last edited:
Cant go wrong with Michelin tires but wow that is expensive. I have the XRV on my Ventana and I am guessing that might be a standard for Newmar. What was ironic is when I took delivery of my coach, it seems like the tag (especially) and the drive wheels were worn down more that you would expect for new. Turns out my alignment was off so ended up getting a free alignment and new drive and tag tires on warranty.

I feel safe with Michelin, I trust them. I'll go with whatever their top RV tire is when it comes time for mine to change. I think there was one level higher than XRV?

Cant go wrong with Michelin tires but wow that is expensive. I have the XRV on my Ventana and I am guessing that might be a standard for Newmar.
What size tire are you running Sheridan? I'm not finding any Michelin XRV 275 80R 22.5. I find 235, 255 and 305, but not 275.

i am not at my coach but the tire pressure chart I have saved says
305/70R22.5

I'm coming up on tire replacement (5 years) on my 2015 Vedanta which is equipped with Michelin 305/70R22.5's all around. I have ~52k on the coach and the tires still have plenty of tread and no sidewall cracking so no pressing issues other than age. Best I can tell the only other choice for 305/70R22.5's is Toyo M144's. I've been searching other forums looking for experienced uses on Toyos on their coach and found a few. So far no horror stories and for the most part positive feedback and comparisons to the performance and ride of Michelin's. The Toyo's are considerably less expensive then Michelin's and it appears they have better availability. At the moment my plan is to go with the Toyo's all around and use the savings to put Centrematic balancers all around and Retrobands on the steer.

Latest resources

Back