• Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbopilot

RVF Supporter
Fulltimer
No
Neil still test driving the new forum. So far very impressed.

How long is the time out set to edit a post. This is a big frustration for frequent posters who discover a typo, broken link or a inadvertant factual error in a post. I would like to see at least a 48 hour lag before turning off the ability to edit a post. I ran several forums where we completely turned off the time out to edit a post and never had any problems.

Reactions: Jim
How long is the time out set to edit a post.

This is one of those areas that was/is needing tweaking. The default is 2 hours which is typically fine but with the desire for people to change the thread title prefixes such as from Question to Answered this is problematic. I have a suggestion in to the vendor to disassociate post edits with prefix edits. Right now they are tied.

I just changed it so that all users are now at 48 hours per your recommendation.

The RVF Supporter group is also meant to serve as a trusted group to help keep forum spammers from having more control so I set the RVF Supporter to unlimited editing.

Anyone else ever comes across something that needs tweaking please let me know.

Also, I have no problem with people linking to or mentioning other RV sites. I am not running this community out of paranoia that seems to be consistent across other RV communities. This is about information sharing and helping each other.

Be careful with the amount of editing time allowed. I had a couple of forums and in time there will be a disgruntled member that has lots of good info then goes back and changes things. I wound up setting it to four hours and after that if something needed changed they would need to have me change it.

This is one of those areas that was/is needing tweaking. The default is 2 hours which is typically fine but with the desire for people to change the thread title prefixes such as from Question to Answered this is problematic. I have a suggestion in to the vendor to disassociate post edits with prefix edits. Right now they are tied.

I just changed it so that all users are now at 48 hours per your recommendation.

The RVF Supporter group is also meant to serve as a trusted group to help keep forum spammers from having more control so I set the RVF Supporter to unlimited editing.

Anyone else ever comes across something that needs tweaking please let me know.

Also, I have no problem with people linking to or mentioning other RV sites. I am not running this community out of paranoia that seems to be consistent across other RV communities. This is about information sharing and helping each other.
Unless you have just reset it again, @Neal, I got a 5-minute edit timeout yesterday.

TJ

Be careful with the amount of editing time allowed. I had a couple of forums and in time there will be a disgruntled member that has lots of good info then goes back and changes things. I wound up setting it to four hours and after that if something needed changed they would need to have me change it.

The question for a forum is what is worse: good information that is deleted or bad/incorrect information that is locked in time or requires a mod edit. Biggest issue for frequent posters are broken/incorrect links. On "rare" times I have discovered I simply got it wrong as an original poster and lost my ability to correct the record.

That is true, but after many months when a member goes rogue it is a mad scramble to salvage what you can. I learned that the hard way........

Unless you have just reset it again, @Neal, I got a 5-minute edit timeout yesterday.

@TJ&LadyDi no, nothing has changed. If you see this again let me know and exactly what you're trying to edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back