Chassis
Ram ProMaster 3500 chassis
Engine
3.6L V6, 24 valve engine with 280 HP
TOW/TOAD
limited
Fulltimer
No
I have seen a lot of ads and a lot of confusion on using hotspots as an RV solution for internet service. Any suggestions? And, has anyone tried out TravlFi RV Internet?

I use a visible phone plan at $25 per month, unlimited, runs off of verizon towers. I hooked my phone to a small router.

GL.iNet GL-AR750S​

Run 4 tv's, tablet, desktop computer, and wifi to our Consumer Cellular phones off of it.
On the rare occasion visible slows down I hot spot my consumer cellular samsung phone which runs off ATT towers.
The only place this visible wireless internet set up doesn't work for me is here at home in So. IL where I don't need it. Verizon has very poor coverage here. I have fiber optic at home anyway.

I use a visible phone plan at $25 per month, unlimited, runs off of verizon towers. I hooked my phone to a small router.

GL.iNet GL-AR750S​

Run 4 tv's, tablet, desktop computer, and wifi to our Consumer Cellular phones off of it.
On the rare occasion visible slows down I hot spot my consumer cellular samsung phone which runs off ATT towers.
The only place this visible wireless internet set up doesn't work for me is here at home in So. IL where I don't need it. Verizon has very poor coverage here. I have fiber optic at home anyway.
Thanks for the tip!

I have seen a lot of ads and a lot of confusion on using hotspots as an RV solution for internet service. Any suggestions? And, has anyone tried out TravlFi RV Internet?
We use T-Mobil hotspot on our phones. We have done this for years with very few issues. We run our computers and our TVs. For TV we stream using ROKU and we subscribe to YouTube TV, Philo and Amazon. We have free Netflix through T-Mobil and we have Pluto and ROKU Channel free.

There have been times where we could not get signal. In some cases I doubt anything other than satellite would have worked.

Hope this helps

We use T-Mobil hotspot on our phones. We have done this for years with very few issues. We run our computers and our TVs. For TV we stream using ROKU and we subscribe to YouTube TV, Philo and Amazon. We have free Netflix through T-Mobil and we have Pluto and ROKU Channel free.

There have been times where we could not get signal. In some cases I doubt anything other than satellite would have worked.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the advice

I returned mine. I had cell reception on my phone and was not able to get internet through Travelfi

I have the 4G version of Travlfi and have used for about a year.
Keeps me in touch with work (emails / teams calls) and the little Prime streaming we do. Very few issues.

We don't camp in very remote areas though, so keep that in mind.

I don't have experience with the TravlFi product.

We have extensively used a "MOFI5500-5GXeLTE" LTE modem/router combo in our travels. This is an excellent product and an excellent solution for roaming WiFi, as long as you have LTE service. It is fairly expensive, but it is a top-of-class piece of hardware and the software is very robust.

I was just in a location where I couldn't make reliable calls with my cell phone, but the Mofi router was able to let us use Internet and even stream a movie one night. We use a DC barrel jack adapter that connects to a 12v jack on the other end, so I can plug the device in to any existing 12v jack, including my truck (which is always hot and has two AGM batteries). Or just use an inverter with the wall plug.

It's a great solution, and you can even extend the antenna with other products, but I just use the built in 4-antenna solution, which is pretty effective. The best thing is that I have been using it for home internet when at the residence, and take it on the road when we travel... so the same monthly plan is my all around Internet solution. You can certainly get well over 75 Mbps in many Verizon areas, and in many remote US Forest Service or BLM campsites I use, I can still get 5-15 Mbps.

Usually, I put it on the roof outside for best service, but it works great inside the travel trailer and inside the truck cab too. Incidentally, I forgot and left it outside in the heavy rain one night a long time ago, and it has never stopped working the same as brand new to this day. I don't recommend this however, haha.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back