Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tired of the jeep getting beat up while towing….

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm afraid you may not be solving the paint-chipping issue. It looks like the expanded mesh is too large to stop anything other than larger stones. If you have the Newmar billboard installed that contributes to rocks being thrown especially if it's hanging low.

I was going to ask as well, is your rock guard on the coach installed or not? Have you tried removing it if installed, installing it if not? And I suppose the height of it matters.

I understand the rv parks in Alaska have piles of rock guards that travelers remove because they throw rocks so badly.

I'm afraid you may not be solving the paint-chipping issue. It looks like the expanded mesh is too large to stop anything other than larger stones. If you have the Newmar billboard installed that contributes to rocks being thrown especially if it's hanging low.
I put a finer mesh over the expanded - between the two not much will get through. If that doesn’t do it I’ll put window screen over that. For now its down to statistical improbability vs my luck. So about 50/50. I was just looking at the billboard. Might be best to hang that on the garage wall. Screen came from my neighbor - leftover landscape stuff. Another freebie.
IMG_2394.jpeg

I understand the rv parks in Alaska have piles of rock guards that travelers remove because they throw rocks so badly.
That doesnt surprise me. I have some star paint cracks in the lower fiberglass from obvious rock strikes from the inside. So maybe I should just pull the thing off. Regardless of whatever help it was intended to provide, I really don’t need it now anyway. Its several inches off the ground but I do here it scrape from time to time. Dang - right at beer:30!

Ok, now it’s break time. Maybe I’ll hang the thing under my truck…and maybe I’ll hang something amusing from the chains.
IMG_2397.jpeg

This is the damage I suspect was caused by the billboard - perhaps I can get some kind of RV forum type sticker to put over that…
IMG_2398.jpeg

All ready to roll after some early Christmas responsibilities are attended to tomorrow morning. We’ll be back here in March to check on things.
IMG_2399.jpeg

It was just a suggestion. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back