Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tired of the jeep getting beat up while towing….

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich W.

Retired Fire Chief
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3427
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
…broken lights, cracked windshield, chipped paint….This may be a bit overkill and granted it’s ugly, but it should help. All materials came from the storage pile - no cost project.
IMG_2375.jpeg
IMG_2394.jpeg

IMG_3150.jpeg
Brother in law had the expanded steel, neighbor had the 1/2” screen, I had enough angle and box to fab what was needed. And it all comes off with two pins so I can leave the ugly at the camp site. I have some new lights to mount at our next stop, new windshield was just installed in the jeep, and with this hopefully the damage will slow down a bit at least.

That should help.....as long as the mounting is secure, and it can't rotate forward and down.

Roger
I have a strap running from that u-bolt on top of the monstrosity to the windshield tie down on the hood to keep it under tension so it's pretty stable and since its screen it wont offer a lot of wind resistance. Even without the strap its fairly tight - doesn't move much at all.

That should help.....as long as the mounting is secure, and it can't rotate forward and down.

Roger
It can‘t rotate (either way) because the mounts are vertical 1” box legs that slide down into 1 1/4” box mounts - the pins just keep it there in case gravity fails (or I go over a bump way to fast). But its all welded and isn’t going anywhere on its own. I’ll probably shorten it because its higher than it needs to be and I basically just don’t like looking at it. But it will come off whenever I‘m camped - two pins, lift it out and pit it aside.

Have you tried one of these tow defender contraptions? I bought something similar long ago, as I had no issues I sold it.

Amazon product ASIN B001FCBS4E

I have not had any issues yet, but I've only towed 14k miles, it looks like a good protection screen, easy to assemble and install, nice work @Rich W.

I have not had any issues yet, but I've only towed 14k miles, it looks like a good protection screen, easy to assemble and install, nice work @Rich W.
yeah I never thought it’d be an issue but I am getting a lot of paint chips, even half way up the A pillars, and the broken light and cracked windshield happened while towing, so there it is. I’ll try to make it less ugly later. It was previously a divider in a cargo van and it was free so it doesn’t hurt anything to cut it up and change it around a bit and if I really get sick of it I can throw it back on the scrap heap.

Have you tried one of these tow defender contraptions? I bought something similar long ago, as I had no issues I sold it.

Amazon product ASIN B001FCBS4E
no but mine cost me a couple feet of wire, a couple psi of of gas, and a few Kw’s of power (but I have solar, so….) and a bout three hours of recreational cutting and welding (my time is worth nothing these days) so it was fairly economical. I literally bought nothing for this project.

no but mine cost me a couple feet of wire, a couple psi of of gas, and a few Kw’s of power (but I have solar, so….) and a bout three hours of recreational cutting and welding (my time is worth nothing these days) so it was fairly economical. I literally bought nothing for this project.
That fun stuff, I was a millwright in past life, certified welder, love projects that need fire and hammers!

It does give it a bit of a safari look driving it around like that.

Latest resources

Back