Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

texskeet

RVF Regular
On my 2017 DS is there a positive 12 vole place on the large plug that i can run charge power to the toad ?

On my 2017 DS is there a positive 12 vole place on the large plug that i can run charge power to the toad ?
A spare contact does exist on the 7 pin. Newmar does not wire it from the factory but does run 2 spare wires( black & orange) from the cockpit to a few inches from the 7 pin. It is a simple job to connect each end to the respective points to implement a charge wire setup on the coach.

My 2018 VTDP has +12V available on the factory 7 pin recepticle but only when the coach ignition is on. I used that to power a RVI Toad Battery Charger when we towed a 2017 Jeep Cherokee. It worked very well.

Safe travels.

Yes a pin has charge voltage. And yes it should be wired. All trailers over 2000lbs (in most states) are required to have brakes and an emergency brake battery should the trailer become disconnected. If the manufacturer has set up a trailer tow package without it, it is darn near criminal. A brake circuit battery that has no way to keep it charged is not following the laws in all US states.

Yes a pin has charge voltage. And yes it should be wired. All trailers over 2000lbs (in most states) are required to have brakes and an emergency brake battery should the trailer become disconnected. If the manufacturer has set up a trailer tow package without it, it is darn near criminal. A brake circuit battery that has no way to keep it charged is not following the laws in all US states.
Both of my SUVs have a tow package and the trailer brake lights and brakes are wired at the 7 pins that the charge line is not wired like the OP is asking about. Both my SUVs also have a tow package and neither one have a brake controller installed in the vehicle. My last truck had the charge wire in place but there was a fuse not installed and they recommended a diode be installed to prevent the trailer batteries from draining the vehicle batteries. Not against the law not have a charge line from your tow vehicle to your trailer to keep the trailer's batteries charged. The standard 4 pin trailer plug doesn't include a charge line wire, only the 7 pins has the options.

Latest resources

Back