Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I got asked a great question by my insurance agent today as she is reviewing our coverage. I was asked about my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and whether the odometer is turning when it is being towed behind the motorhome. I am not sure, to be honest as I have never paid attention to it until now. If you are flat towing and the transfer case is in neutral, is the odometer turning or not?

I have always wondered about this myself.

It absolutely probably should not be.
The odometer counts miles on the engine. (Update: not true. Odometer is a mileage measurement for all car components. This is why if you replace your engine. The odometer still doesn’t get reset).

Even with my correction, I still think the odometer should not turn when being towed. If your odometer is turning while you tow, your wallet is about to take a severe beating from the repair man.

Last edited:
2016 Colorado odometer doesn’t turn, knowing this I have factored in coach mileage when rotating/balancing or replacing tires. I believe I have approximately 45k miles above odometer mileage on toad.

Want to replace toad but with truck prices and availability not willing to right now?

On most, if not all toads, the electronic odometer doesn't operate unless the electrical system is in the "on" position. Our 2014 CR-V has ~40,000 more miles than is indicated on the odometer. I do take this into account for servicing of those systems that would get wear and tear from this extra mileage. For example, I wasn't surprised to have had to replace the tie-rod ends at ~95,000 miles since, in reality, they had seen ~130,000 miles of wear.

We have a 2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and the odometor does not register mileage when towing. As "docj" noted you should account for the extra mileage when dealing with systems subject to wear and tear due to the dowing.

I got asked a great question by my insurance agent today as she is reviewing our coverage. I was asked about my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and whether the odometer is turning when it is being towed behind the motorhome. I am not sure, to be honest as I have never paid attention to it until now. If you are flat towing and the transfer case is in neutral, is the odometer turning or not?

Toadometer

2012 Wrangler Sahara. Been driven 50k & towed 50k. Jeep odometer shows 50k. Does not turn when towing.

Drivetrain in neutral negates odometer function...

Have 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk and installed the electrical power steering 'thingy' to eliminate the 'death wobble'. There is a sequence of steps to disengage the drive train & the shift selector is placed in Park & the ignition is in the Off position for towing. The electrical power steering is then activated via a swtich & fused 12VDC power to the power steering unit. Mileage does not register on the odometer when being towed in this fashion. This was a dealer installed option for 2015, but, I believe is now standard equipment.
I maintain the toad battery with the 12VDC provided by my RV 7 pin umbilical connector.

Latest resources

Back