• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Too old to purchase RV?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm 58 too. We lost a few family member who never got a chance to retire. Kind of stoked the engines for me and I jumped into an RV hip deep too.

There's a fella on another forum now shopping for a used class A for a four month trip he plans to make. He's 78 he says. He might not make make another trip but he's taking his shot. On the other hand, I know folks that age who can't get to the grocery store without help. You just have to decide for yourself. My kids are pretty aware that there won't be any money in the bank when I go.

Gosh...so many of you are old. Glad I'm in your group toooooooo!!!!

Edited to say: my 90 yr old Mother tells me every once in a while that I'm too old to be still tying to chase my dreams. Wrong, Mother.

My husband and I have been camping since we were married 47 years ago. He is soon to be 69 and I just turned 65. We started out with a tent, went to a pop up, bought a very used 1977 Winnebago that my hubby rebuilt, purchased a 1998 Coachman class C, now looking to buy a gently used class A. I keep putting the brakes on when we find one. Some of the thoughts that are going through my head; suppose we purchase one and our health fails, we will have to finance and probably never pay it off, is it a good financial decision? We can afford it and have been saving for the down payment, I just can't bring myself to make the purchase. It's not my husband, it's me! Has anyone else felt this way and still made the purchase? Were there regrets? Hoping someone can ease my mind. Thanks!
Remember when you asked yourself if you could afford a kid? Its the same thing. You can never afford it, just do it and it works out fine..

As the old saying goes from the 80’s......Just Do It!

I got my first RV at 60. I was at a campground and was called a kid by an 85 year old in a big DP. Financially, the question is, can you pay it off and manage any medical expense that you might incur. If you need to finance it, long term (10-15 years), as opposed to closing to finance, perhaps something less expensive would better suit your comfort level. You need to have maintenance money set aside for any possible major expense in addition to the payments.

Life is unpredictable. I was trying to wait until I was over 70 to move to a class A. In the last 5 years, I lost 4 really good friends. After the third, who was only four months older than me, I decided to go for it. It is not an investment. It is a pleasure. You only live once, and what you don’t enjoy, you will leave to someone else to enjoy. Not an easy decision, I know. Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.

I hope I will be able to buy another at 80, but if not, I am thankful for what I have been able to enjoy.
I totally agree with these thoughts. We upgraded to our Dutch Star at the beginning of our 70’s. We had an Alpine Motorcoach for the previous 11 years. It has brought us such fun, and adventure. I see our friends who stay at home much of the time, only taking occasional vacations, and frankly they seem to be not staying as vibrant and fun as they used to be.I think rving really keeps you mentally, and physically in better shape. We have just one all to short life to live. Judy D

My husband and I have been camping since we were married 47 years ago. He is soon to be 69 and I just turned 65. We started out with a tent, went to a pop up, bought a very used 1977 Winnebago that my hubby rebuilt, purchased a 1998 Coachman class C, now looking to buy a gently used class A. I keep putting the brakes on when we find one. Some of the thoughts that are going through my head; suppose we purchase one and our health fails, we will have to finance and probably never pay it off, is it a good financial decision? We can afford it and have been saving for the down payment, I just can't bring myself to make the purchase. It's not my husband, it's me! Has anyone else felt this way and still made the purchase? Were there regrets? Hoping someone can ease my mind. Thanks!
I am 76 and just purchased a brand new Newmar BayStar. I also bought travel insurance through Good Sam so if anything happens I will be taken care of and a driver will take the coach home. This made my wife happy. Go for it.

I will turn 75 in Sept. Wife is 69. We just upgraded from a 1996 Holiday Rambler 5th wheel to a XLR Nitro 321 toyhauler. I didn't work all my life and retire to not try and enjoy my twilight years. I will likely not live long enough to pay it off, but I will enjoy it while I am able, and sell it when I'm not.

We can afford it and have been saving for the down payment, I just can't bring myself to make the purchase. It's not my husband, it's me! Has anyone else felt this way and still made the purchase? Were there regrets? Hoping someone can ease my mind. Thanks!

I'm kind of on the other curb. I always thought I'd wait until retirement to buy my RV so I'd have the time... and more money. My brother has always had better sense and convinced me NOW is the time; that nobody has a lease on life. Truth is, I absolutely love RVing and we go as often as conditions (vacation balances) allow. My advice would be that if you're sure you enjoy going, then figure some way to get there NOW.

Used RVs are seldom used much - a couple of weeks a year sometimes? Take your time, look around, and buy something a [model] year or two old. My brother's first Outback was a trade-in, the previous owner couldn't back it into his parking spot so he traded it in the following year for a class C. Saving that initial "commission depreciation" can make a used unit much more affordable - and enjoyable! Taking the time to study prices, makes, models, and features can be fun and better acquaint you with what you can expect to sell for if you have to.

Good luck - and hope to see you out there!

Do it...and enjoy every minute you have with it! Throw away the "what ifs"...

I drug my feet on retiring and also purchasing one. Glad I finally retired and we bought a used one. Had a friend that was diganosed with cancer about a month ago. Went and seen him about 11 days ago. Got word he died last night, he was only 63. Like everyone says enjoy it today. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back