• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tow vehicle for my Ventana

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Don't forget chevrolet pickups. The entire lineup has a trim that is flat towable.
Look for models with 4LO options that are not AWD. Those models will have a section in the manual that describes flat towing. Some years have electric steer boxes that require a disconnect of the battery.
thanks for the help but I don't think the wife is going to appreciate the loss of her SUV (Honda) and replaced with a pickup! Either way I'll look into a replacement vehicle for a dingy.

thanks for the help but I don't think the wife is going to appreciate the loss of her SUV (Honda) and replaced with a pickup! Either way I'll look into a replacement vehicle for a dingy.
Tahoe, suburban etc are also towable. Other suvs not sure of, but I think the equinox is.

First, CRV has NOT been 4 down towable since 2014. That would have been our toad of choice the second time around. However, my 2 jeep wranglers are the cats meow getting setup to tow 4 down. I have the standard transmission so it's even easier I think with that. If I was to get a newer toad, would lean heavily toward the Jeep Gladiator PU, simply because we need a truck around home. The weight difference is not a concern. They track perfectly, and I just like the way it all comes together. If you look around, Jeep's are one of only a select few vehicles which are flat towable. So make sure before you jump in, because salesman/woman don't know for sure. The only way is to read the manual of the vehicle you are considering, a big caution will be present under the towing section. Have fun, be safe. Ford says their new ranger truck is flat towable, my friend could not ever get the dealership to get it to work, and he did not buy one. He did buy I think a fiesta, and it's FT, but he bought it used, not sure new models. FMCA, used to publish a towing guide, check their website for that article, it's one of the best sources on vehicles.

I checked the Honda website for 2019 FWD CRV.
Towing Your Vehicle Your vehicle is not designed to be towed behind a motor home. If your vehicle needs to be towed in an emergency, refer to the emergency towing information

If you are not ready to buy another vehicle, other option is a trailer. Not as cheap as a dolly, but much cheaper than new car. Like dolly, can have issues in some CG with storage on site. Plenty of folks do trailers, including large stacker trailers with multiple toys.

Not advocating here, just talking options.

Old Bubblehead you are correct, and I will second his statement. Trailers are cheaper than new car, the enclosed trailers are very nice if outfitted inside to have a little work bench, and stuff like that if you are hobby person. Lots of people use them, but some drawbacks as stated, I will list a few more. If ham radio operator, all that stuff could have home in it, easier to mount antenna.
1. Trailer empty weight + toad weight, more than likely approaches the average 10K limit on towing behind MH.
2. Where do you put it when pulling into many, many RV parks, you will always need pull through if in "travel status" from one point to another.
3. If home do you have place to store it? Then their is the maintenance, cleaning, and the little things to consider.
4. The added length will further limit your road choice, and which turns you can safely navigate. I figure a minimum of 25 feet in length. Remember low bridges and the gross weight rating of those in back country if you have trailer.
5. Trailer will have to have at least one people door on front, so you can exit after you tie down car inside and you will have to tie down car.
6. Floor of trailer needs to be reinforced (unless specifically designed) for vehicle so it can support and haul weight of car.
7. Enclosed trailer is more aerodynamic than exposed model, but costs more, and heaver.
I considered trailer for a long while, even purchased one with GWVR of 10K, and then (farm equipment) and then thought about behind MH, something else to worry about. The limits above convinced me another jeep was the way to go.
One added thing many don't consider with jeep, it's a "real 4x4 vehicle", unlike many cars and trucks which claim it, but in effect is only a modified 4x3 system. If in bad place, jeep can get you out and back on the road in stuck situation. I had to pull friends "so called 4x4 jeep grand Cherokee out of the sand one time with mine. And, not to discount, places you will go, open up broad areas of country you can explore with a 4x4 vehicle, especially out west. But it will have to be a real 4x4.

Latest resources

Back