Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kimberlya2001

RVF Newbee
I am buying a 5th wheel that has a dry weight of 12,300 pds- The loaded weight is 15,500. Our truck can tow up to 17,500. Is this pushing it?

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will help you soon.
Wish I could be more helpful.
You may get more replies in the 5th wheel forum.

You're more likely to be limited on payload than on towing capacity. Look inside the driver's door of your truck and see if there's a sticker in there that says the max payload or max carrying capacity or something like that. The weight of all people and gear in the truck plus the pin weight of your trailer should be less than that payload capacity. If you don't have a way to measure the loaded pin weight of your trailer (since the dry weight quoted by the manufacturer will be much too low), start by assuming it's 20-25% of your loaded trailer weight.

You will need a payload of 3100 (20%) to 3875 (25%) plus the weight of the hitch and the people in the truck. Towing capacity uses 10% for TT and 15% for 5ers and you will never see those percentages in RVs and maybe see those percentages in cargo trailers, not RVs. I had a 1-ton truck with an RV load of 15,500 when I brought it to the scales I was dangerously overloaded to the point of exceeding axles and tire ratings. That was an expensive mistake.
Remember that the yellow sticker is the payload allowed on YOUR truck and the RV salesperson could care less about your safety only the commission on the sale.

Last edited:
Here is what we experienced. We have what is considered a half ton towable (lightweight) 5th wheel. We were at 11,000 Pin weight was acceptable but in real world driving I felt two main issues. 1, the brakes on the truck felt a bit inadequate, they worked but I felt I was pushing it and tried to make it up with trailer gain. 2. 5.3 liter gas engine was working too hard on hills. Seeing we were planning on spending a lot of time in the rockies and Alaska it was decided to go 3/4 ton with a diesel. It was a good move as I can literally fly up steep grades, I do not have to use any of the truck lanes as I can easily maintain the speed limit. Using the built in diesel brake features reduces the amount of braking that needs to be applied going downhill. Night and day. Also on the gasser we would get 8mpg, on the diesel we are getting 13. Stunning fuel mileage. Hope this helps.

I am buying a 5th wheel that has a dry weight of 12,300 pds- The loaded weight is 15,500. Our truck can tow up to 17,500. Is this pushing it?
Depends on tongue(pin) weight and truck loading and capacity rating.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back