• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Towing question

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Most suggest that you only use about 80% of the truck's capacity for safety also.
Why 80%? The rated capacity is the rated capacity. If it was not safe to tow up to the rated capacity, then it would not be rated for that capacity, it would be rated lower. I guarantee for liability reasons there is already a "fudge factor" built into the rated capacity number.

Why 80%? The rated capacity is the rated capacity. If it was not safe to tow up to the rated capacity, then it would not be rated for that capacity, it would be rated lower. I guarantee for liability reasons there is already a "fudge factor" built into the rated capacity number.
Because that gives you some extra margin for safety especially in an emergency situation.

Because that gives you some extra margin for safety especially in an emergency situation.
Well, I suppose that driving 80% of the speed limit probably would too. But I suppose just because some people recommend not going above 80% of capacity is not a requirement, just a recommendation.

EXACTLY.....Some people need as much "help" as they can get. They seem to think towing is just like driving their car to go get a latte..........

EXACTLY.....Some people need as much "help" as they can get. They seem to think towing is just like driving their car to go get a latte..........
Well, I'm in for an adjustment. I sold a single axle 20' trailer and I'm getting a 26' dual axle. Also, I notice there is a lot more trailer behind the wheels on the new trailer compared to the old trailer. So, I'm expecting some fun backing-in experiences the first few times. And with the Dodge Durango I bought just to pull the new trailer with, I will be under 80% weight capacities anyway. I was maxed out on weight pulling the old trailer with a Grand Caravan mini van.

You'll do fine. All you need to do is go slow backing up until you get used to it (but you already knew that!). All it takes is practice.

Well, I'm in for an adjustment. I sold a single axle 20' trailer and I'm getting a 26' dual axle. Also, I notice there is a lot more trailer behind the wheels on the new trailer compared to the old trailer. So, I'm expecting some fun backing-in experiences the first few times. And with the Dodge Durango I bought just to pull the new trailer with, I will be under 80% weight capacities anyway. I was maxed out on weight pulling the old trailer with a Grand Caravan mini van.
Maybe get some right and left rear trailer cameras installed to assist. I have a centered rear but that is for how close I am to dead center of something backing. Never hurts to outfit these things to avoid accidents for sure. You will be fine.

Latest resources

Back