34DS2
RV Length
Chassis
Ford
Engine
Gas
Fulltimer
No
I have a FR3 34DS, I am thinking about pulling my 2018 Subaru Outback. Does anyone pull a 2018 Subaru Outback? If so, how do you pull it, on a trailer, front tires off the ground or all four tires on the ground?

I am new to this RVing.

Thanks

Check your Subaru's owners manual for the RV towing specifics but from what found, only models with manual transmissions can be flat towed.

Our 4 wheel drive RAM pick-up can be flat towed but the tow system and braking system are pricey.. Our Buick Lucerne cannot be flat towed so we use a 2 wheel trailer for our first year. We have had some complications and may change for next year.

Not sure what year they stopped officially certifying them to be flat towed. Subaru used to be ok with it, believe it had to be manual transmission and all wheel drive.

I’d check the manual for recreational towing as was mentioned above.

We have a 2018 Hyundai Elantra sport 6 speed that we flat tow. Hyundai is no longer approved from the factory to do it either.

Unfortunately the list seems to get smaller every year.

We have a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek for our toad, and plan to keep it as long as possible. We've towed it 20 years with zero problems (approximately 65,000 of its 95,000 miles are being towed.) It is our primary vehicle around town, but we don't drive it for long distances because it's not super comfortable. We find it cost-effective to rent a comfy vehicle for the rare long trips without our motorhome.
Our Pumpkin (it's orange - pumpkin, coach, get it?) is flat tow, manual transmission in neutral, no limits, all-wheel drive. I think 2014 was the last year they made manual transmission, or at least flat towables.
It's far as I understand, Subaru now uses the extremely efficient CVT in all their vehicles (continuously variable transmission) and you cannot tow at all, not flat, not front wheels up. You can only put it on a trailer.
if heaven forbid we ever have to replace our toad we would either go with a Jeep or a truck of some sort. I don't know of any other regular affordable available car that's as easily towable as our 2013.

I have a FR3 34DS, I am thinking about pulling my 2018 Subaru Outback. Does anyone pull a 2018 Subaru Outback? If so, how do you pull it, on a trailer, front tires off the ground or all four tires on the ground?
I have a 2020 Outback with an auto transmission and I'm pretty sure that you MUST put it on a trailer in order to tow it at all. Many all-wheel-drive vehicles cannot be towed with any wheels down.

I have a 2020 Outback with an auto transmission and I'm pretty sure that you MUST put it on a trailer in order to tow it at all. Many all-wheel-drive vehicles cannot be towed with any wheels down.
Thanks

Latest resources

Back