• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Towing vehicle commendations

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hmmm. No. Getting past the budget thing, an electric truck like the Rivian or Ford would easily pull a smaller lower profile tailer twice as far as you indicated. The electric Silverado would easily pull it 250 miles or more.
A "2007 23 ft. Ameri Lite travel trailer that weighs about 4000 lbs." is likely a 23BW at 7.5'W x 9.5'H which I guess compared to some might be considered a smaller lower profile trailer. Since that's what the OP is asking about towing specifically, I'll offer advice on that and refrain from suggesting another $30-$50K for a replacement trailer too.
I actually did assume twice the radius I suggested assuming at some point they might want to go home and possibly not remain parked the duration of camping. Will they be at a campground that prohibits electric vehicle charging? Want to find out after you're already there? How far away is a charging station; 5 minutes, 90 minutes? I can add 400 miles of range to my minivan in ~3 minutes counting the time to fart around with my wallet and the pump, about double that time for my truck. I see this as a convenience, some may see adding that range in 1-3 hours (with multiple stops) to be a feature rather than a drawback, just depends on what flavor of propaganda you prefer.

A "2007 23 ft. Ameri Lite travel trailer that weighs about 4000 lbs." is likely a 23BW at 7.5'W x 9.5'H which I guess compared to some might be considered a smaller lower profile trailer. Since that's what the OP is asking about towing specifically, I'll offer advice on that and refrain from suggesting another $30-$50K for a replacement trailer too.
I actually did assume twice the radius I suggested assuming at some point they might want to go home and possibly not remain parked the duration of camping. Will they be at a campground that prohibits electric vehicle charging? Want to find out after you're already there? How far away is a charging station; 5 minutes, 90 minutes? I can add 400 miles of range to my minivan in ~3 minutes counting the time to fart around with my wallet and the pump, about double that time for my truck. I see this as a convenience, some may see adding that range in an hour to be a feature rather than a drawback, just depends on what flavor of propaganda you prefer.
Exactly. Different strokes etc. We have toured all over Canada and extensively in BC and Washington with our EV RV combo and never had a charging issue. Whether it suits someone’s travel and camping style is up to the individual. But best to get info from those who tow with an EV and preferably the same size rig one is looking at. Ours is not a good comparison for the OP as it’s lighter and shorter.

IMG_7060.jpeg

Between 2007 and 2021, the Tundra was offered most, if not all, years with a front bench seat like you describe. I'm not sure which years exactly as Canada and the US had different options. I think it was offered until 2021 in the US but it was dropped some time before then in Canada. To get that option, you'd be looking for an SR trim level or an SR5 without the Upgrade Package. The only downside is those trim levels have the 26 gallon fuel tank, which limits your range when towing. If you step up to the SR5 Upgrade Package or a higher trim level, you get a 38 gallon fuel tank but you also get bucket seats with a full centre console.

I have the 5.7L V8. I get about 10 mpg towing, which is pretty much the same as every other gas engine. (I've talked to guys with Ram 5.7, Ford 3.5EB and GM 6.0/6.2 and they all get the same or worse, depending on wind, terrain, trailer size and driving style.)
But you didn't talk to me! My 16 RAM with 5.7 and 8 speed averages 13 towing the average without trip meter reset for all milage driven 19

But you didn't talk to me! My 16 RAM with 5.7 and 8 speed averages 13 towing the average without trip meter reset for all milage driven 19
How big is your trailer?

Oh! Almost forgot! I tow tandem. Add another 1000lbs

Several articles on the F150 Lighting range when towing. Most state less the 200 miles if hills are involved. Something to consider when looking at EV's. Growing up in the Big western states 200 miles is a run to the grocery store lol.

Latest resources

Back