Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Toy hauler or not…how to carry a golf cart?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Captainrich

RVF Newbee
First post, thanks for having me along for the ride.

I’ll try not to make this a traditional “What should I buy……” first post.

Long and short is my wife and I want to bring a golf cart but she can’t stand the look of a traditional TH.

I’ve found a model that we agree will work: Forest River XLR Boost 27QBX or it’s sister model Wolf Pack 27Pack10. Nice but not sure about it overall.

I know my wife would prefer a traditional (non TH) trailer. So the question is how to carry the cart. My tow vehicle is a ‘22 RAM 2500 6.7 Diesel with a 76” bed.

A 4 seat cart needs about 75” to get the rear wheels on so it looks like it’s possible to carry it in the truck bed. Might be a PITA but possible. This would also allow for a bit smaller trailer that still has the living space.

Any insight will be appreciated.

What's the payload capacity of your truck, weight of the golf cart and tongue weight of those trailers you're looking at?

Good points, Rosy. Thanks,
A 4 seat cart weighs about 900-1000 Lbs. My truck has a listed payload of 2170 Lbs and a towing capacity of 16970 Lbs.
I'm only looking to pull a 25' to 27' max travel trailer. So based on the payload and cart weight numbers I should keep the tongue weight around 750 - 850 Lbs so as to keep well under my payload capacity.

I'm really looking for input on the logistics of pulling the trailer with the cart in the truck bed. I'll have to leave my tailgate off. The cart's rear end will hang over the truck bumper by about 12 - 16" Would this interfere with the trailer? I would think that the tongue is long enough.

Does anyone out there run like this?

Do you already have the golf cart to measure? My electric ez go is almost 8 ft long and I don't have the rear seat where the golf bags go. That right there is 20 inches longer than your truck bed. Add another 12+ inches for your rear seat attachment.

Then hooking a trailer with 800 pound tongue weight, even if there was room, this is something I wouldn't do.
If I saw something coming at me or passing me that was set up this way I'd give it plenty of room and make every effort to get way away from it.

Do you already have the golf cart to measure? My electric ez go is almost 8 ft long and I don't have the rear seat where the golf bags go. That right there is 20 inches longer than your truck bed. Add another 12+ inches for your rear seat attachment.

Then hooking a trailer with 800 pound tongue weight, even if there was room, this is something I wouldn't do.
If I saw something coming at me or passing me that was set up this way I'd give it plenty of room and make every effort to get way away from it.
I'm in the yacht business and an avid boater. I feel the same way about many of the boats I see out there. I appreciate your candor. That's why I'm asking. No I don't have the cart yet. I was planning to go to a dealership this week to look at and measure.
Everything I am reading and my own gut points to a toy hauler. RV'ing is supposed to be fun, not a huge PITA. The real task will be to convince The Admiral to go for a TH. She just can't stand the look of the interiors.

I'm in the yacht business and an avid boater. I feel the same way about many of the boats I see out there. I appreciate your candor. That's why I'm asking. No I don't have the cart yet. I was planning to go to a dealership this week to look at and measure.
Everything I am reading and my own gut points to a toy hauler. RV'ing is supposed to be fun, not a huge PITA. The real task will be to convince The Admiral to go for a TH. She just can't stand the look of the interiors.
I was wanting a toy hauler when we got our Montana mid bunk 384BR fifth wheel.
Wife wanted the mid bunk. I understand.

I bought a 16 ft enclosed trailer and just leave it on our Florida lot with the golf cart inside when we're gone in the summer.

Good points, Rosy. Thanks,
A 4 seat cart weighs about 900-1000 Lbs. My truck has a listed payload of 2170 Lbs and a towing capacity of 16970 Lbs.
I'm only looking to pull a 25' to 27' max travel trailer. So based on the payload and cart weight numbers I should keep the tongue weight around 750 - 850 Lbs so as to keep well under my payload capacity.

I'm really looking for input on the logistics of pulling the trailer with the cart in the truck bed. I'll have to leave my tailgate off. The cart's rear end will hang over the truck bumper by about 12 - 16" Would this interfere with the trailer? I would think that the tongue is long enough.

Does anyone out there run like this?
1000 lbs of golf cart plus 850 lbs of tongue weight leaves 320 lbs for you, all your passengers and everything you want to put in the cab of the truck (assuming nothing else can go in the bed of the truck with the cart in there). Only you know if that's enough for you.

I can't get the tailgate of my truck open when my trailer is hitched up. From googling, it looks to me like my tailgate is about 22" long so you probably have about 6" to spare.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back