RV Length
37’
Chassis
Ford
Engine
V10
TOW/TOAD
None
Anyone with the transfer switch under the bedroom, hear the transfer switch humming (in the bedroom) on a quiet night? I don’t remember it being so noticeable before.

Anyone with the transfer switch under the bedroom, hear the transfer switch humming (in the bedroom) on a quiet night? I don’t remember it being so noticeable before.
This is a test. Can you hear what I just said? Just checking to see if your hearing has gotten better!😉

Typically inside the transfer switch, the lugs for the power reel feed wires need to be tighten. I have to do mine about once a year because they start to hum. If that's not it, then you could have a bad contactor inside the transfer switch.

DANGER!!!
Make sure before opening transfer switch that inverter is switched off, circuit breaker on generator is off, AGC is off and you have NO connection to shore power. The transfer switch gets power from multiple sources. Any of them can cause injury or death.
DANGER!!!

If in doubt bring in a professional. Your motor home will be very lonely without you !!!

Yes! SteveMA is absolutely correct. I would advise, if you are not comfortable and understand your transfer switch, I would take it in or hire a mobile tech. I should have included this in my original response.

Are you sure it's your transfer switch and not OASIS or whatever you have for hot water heating? Those pumps are continually spinning I believe. My OASIS hums, I know I have a pump that needs to be replaced solely on noise but as long as it continues to work I'm leaving it alone. Moral is, that's the source of my hummmmm (buzzzz)

Are you sure it's your transfer switch and not OASIS or whatever you have for hot water heating? Those pumps are continually spinning I believe. My OASIS hums, I know I have a pump that needs to be replaced solely on noise but as long as it continues to work I'm leaving it alone. Moral is, that's the source of my hummmmm (buzzzz)
No Oasis, but I have to listen when I get home. Am on the way home from Newmar. Parked in a quiet campground and heard this hum. Yes the transfer switch has a slight hum. However, when I unplugged this morning, I still heard the hum. I think it was my neighbor’s A/C.

Will check when I plug in at home. Forgot to ask tech to re-torque those when they checked the charging system. I habe never been able to get a torque wrench to click. Haven’t tried my torque screwdriver.

It might be the time to cover the proper method to retorque a lug.
1. only use an inch pound torque wrench/screw driver.
2. one of the forces you must overcome is what is called sticktion. To alleviate this problem back the nut/bolt off before you torque to spec. More than one terminal/ device has been replaced because of the failure to follow this step.

Have fun and be safe!!!

It might be the time to cover the proper method to retorque a lug.
1. only use an inch pound torque wrench/screw driver.
2. one of the forces you must overcome is what is called sticktion. To alleviate this problem back the nut/bolt off before you torque to spec. More than one terminal/ device has been replaced because of the failure to follow this step.

Have fun and be safe!!!
Thanks. Did not loosen first.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back