Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Transmission Dip Stick assembly - not dip stick itself, the plastic Red assembly

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Old-RV'er

RVF Expert
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3407
RV Length
34'10"
TOW/TOAD
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Fulltimer
No
Ok, the complete plastic assembly tends to slide off the metal (assumed) tube which has the twist lock for the actual dip stick. I would have Freightliner repair, if I was going to one of their facilities anytime soon. However, we have NO firm travel plans in the near term. Today, in checking fluids prior to road exercise time, I pushed the complete thing back on about 1/2 - 1" before it stopped. I think this needs to be addressed either by me or a FL facility. We have ice/snow in forecast for off and on next week to 10 days, MH aint moving till know roads/weather are not going to cause me more grief.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, and if so, what solutions have you used to fix.

Yes, I can call Freightliner, and get their take on this. I do have the PDM recall hanging so need that checked. But my coach is NOT experiencing any issues, so they will test it, it will be good, and down the road I will go. I could also have them service Genset, again, once WX good, planned on doing myself.

I had this happen on my previous coach except it was the oil dipstick tube. Pushed it down firmly and used a couple of hose clamps to secure it in place. Simple fix. Stayed that way for 10 years with no problems. Obviously, as I’m sure you know, you don’t need to rely on the dipstick for a fluid reading as you can use the transmission controls to check levels.

Obviously, as I’m sure you know, you don’t need to rely on the dipstick for a fluid reading as you can use the transmission controls to check levels.
That is a good point...I forget this as its not something that is normal on any of my other vehicles.

Never thought about hose clamps, great idea. Once WX improves so I don't freeze working on it, will implement this fix. On last MH, had to replace the oil dipstick assembly (not the stick) as the ears broke off. I played heck getting the company who makes them to sell me one, they said really not supposed to sell retail, so he sent me 6 of them. I keep all of them on the off chance it would happen again. Believe cold weather can cause it to break, so don't turn either of them when extremely cold outside. Wait until engine is off, after a run, then area is warm, after about 20 minutes all fluids have settled to bottom of sump, etc. Thank you again for tip.

That is why this forum is tops, we can all learn, and spread our knowledge as well. Wonderful.

Latest resources

Back