Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Dvandermeer

RVF Newbee
Transmission failure at 24000 miles. $5500 front wheel drive repair. Dodge used car transmission in heavy vans. Transmission not heavy duty Research on Google to verify. Beware.

Is this the 6 speed or the newer 9 speed transmission? The 6 speed I have in my Grand Caravan is perfect for something that very rarely exceeds 5000lb GVW and has a max of ~8000lb GCWR. These huge (& heavy) vans they put the minivan powertrain into is a recipe for disaster. The engine can handle it though with a very high torque peak, it'll be wound up pretty much all the time. The transmission can't, 24K sounds about right.

Yes 6 speed. Transmission shop has worked on many cargo vans. Very high torque speed. Especially up a grade. Mostly 5000 rpm.

Took my van to Sam Galloway ford in Ft Myers FL. Was told I needed a part redone for $1700 and as long as I had it apart might as well do a rebuild for $2800. Talking to automotive genius friend on phone, he was 1500 miles away. He asked me what my symptoms were and told me I had a vacuum leak. I told him it was an electronic transmission and he said yes and all the electronics are controlled by vacuum and to look for the leak.

Opened the hood and first place I looked was a split vacuum elbow. $3 later and transmission was fixed.

Info is kind of lacking in that first post but I'll take an educated guess. Late model Dodge Promasters use what is essentially a soccer mom Dodge Caravan drivetrain. And I agree, I think the 62TE transmission in them isn't really up to the task of 3/4 ton or one ton hauling. There are some dressed in RV clothing and I suppose that's why this thread is here in this forum.

Did you ever weigh the rig as ready to go camping or otherwise know what your rolling weight was? I'm curious as to what combination of weight and frontal area it takes to toast the transmission in 24K miles.

Latest resources

Back