Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ortsa

RVF Newbee
My first foray into the RV world was a 2017 Winnebago Navion 24D. I loved it and drove all over the country. The problem I had with it was parking it in some of the wonderful little towns I discovered along the way. After 10 months in it I decided to sell it. Now I'm itching to get back on the road and I have the problem of trying to decide whether or not to get another Class C or a travel trailer.

So RV or Travel Trailer. I figure with the travel trailer I can drop it off at the campsite and drive the truck or SUV into town and explore... OR I get another Class C and buy a Scooter/Moped for those exploration times. Note: I do not want to tow a car behind a Class C.

So that said, what are some of the differences in driving? I've never driven a truck/suv with a something towed behind it. Not sure what kinds of challenges that poses. The Navion 24D obviously was large but I had no problems with maneuvering it. The biggest problems I had was wind on the highways (eventually got a hell wig stabilizer bar which changed that)...

I know it's a very personal choice and I've been doing a lot of research on the differences in living spaces of something like an Airstream Caraval and a Navion 24d...but haven't seen too much in the way of the driving differences...

Any help or links to other discussions would be wonderful. Thanks.

First, @ortsa, welcome to RVF; we're glad you have joined us. Lots of good folks here to bounce ideas off of.

Your question is the classic RVers dilemma; "What to tow with what?" As you have observed, in any case, you need something to live in and something to get you to the store, or to explore the area. We have been pretty much through the whole gambit, from travel trailers to Class C coaches and, lately, Class A coaches. Each one has had a place in our life and each one has allowed us to travel where we wanted to go. We never really observed much difference in the driving aspect of towing a travel trailer vs driving a Class C.

From my perspective, the "scooter/moped" option would be a last resort. Bad weather and open-air seating just wouldn't work for us. Some people can make it work; we couldn't.

And, since you have said you don't want to tow a car behind a Class C (lots of people do, however), that would leave me looking hard at a nice travel trailer. Airstream does make a nice one as do a number of other manufacturers.

Now, my opinion and a few bucks will get you a cup of coffee most places. ;)

TJ

Gosh that is the pervading dilemma! Both have so many pros and a few cons.
We have an Airstream. We definitely need our truck to drive places after we set up at campsites.

We’ve looked at Class C’s, however, and understand the appeal. I do think as we age, we will have to factor on the slightly better and easier setup and breakdown of the C ( mostly in the areas of hitch up). In my opinion, it boils down to do you and can you stay on top of the mechanics of a motorized coach?

We haven't found "stay(ing) on top of the mechanics of a motorized coach" to be much different from doing the same with a trailer tow vehicle. Both need routine service and occasional repair.

The bigger difference for us was adjusting to the need for larger sites. With the bigger coaches (and, trailers too), you are more limited to where you can go.

TJ

We've never had a travel trailer, so I can't comment there. We have gone from a slide in truck camper, to a class C, then to a class A. Our problem is we always bring some sort of toys with us. Jeeps, boat, etc. We needed a way to haul our stuff. Oil changes in our gas powered motorhomes is actually easier than our other vehicles. More room! Oil changes in our diesel pickup is almost as easy, just takes way more oil.
We have flat towed two different Jeeps with a Class C and a Class A. I can barely tell it's back there.

Friends of ours had a rack built for their side by side to ride on their pickup while they towed their TT.
It only lasted one summer. They sold the TT, rack, and bought a motorhome!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back