• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Trickle Charge for Towed Vehicle

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thanks for all the input. I just went back to the manual in my car and it says to leave it in Acc, start and run for 5 min in am and every 6 hrs. The guy at the Hitch place I got it installed said that was to keep the battery charged. I just reread the manual and it also says to put the transmission in D, then R before going back to N (picture of manual attached). I’m now thinking it has something to do with transmission??? I will contact Ford Customer Service on Monday to see what I can find. If for transmission purpose, no way around that, but still think it will take an additional boost to keep battery up to full charge.
D916805D-4E81-4C2F-AE67-610C91728F8B.jpeg

When we towed our 2017 Jeep Cherokee, which required the 'flat tow harness' (basicly the electric power steering) to be powered while the Cherokee was being towed, I used an RVi Towed Battery charger which operates from the 12V supplied from the coach via the 6 or 7 wire umbilico cord. I never had a problem with Cherokee battery staying charged.

My friend does the same with his Jayco and his 2018 Cherokee.

On my VTDP, the 12V is only supplied when the coach iginition is on.

Here's the info on the connector wiring: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Safe Travels.

Last edited:
You really don't have a choice about starting and running every 4 to 5 hrs. The exersize you go through is to keep oiling the bearings in the trans. The only option to this issue would be tow on dolly or trailer. Dolly assumes 2x4.

When we towed our 2017 Jeep Cherokee, which required the 'flat tow harness' (basicly the electric power steering) to be powered while the Cherokee was being towed, I used an RVi Towed Battery charger which operates from the 12V supplied from the coach via the 6 or 7 wire umbilico cord. I never had a problem with Cherokee battery staying charged.

My friend does the same with his Jayco and his 2018 Cherokee.

On my VTDP, the 12V is only supplied when the coach iginition is on.

Here's the info on the connector wiring: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Safe Travels.
Thanks! That looks like exactly what I might need.
You really don't have a choice about starting and running every 4 to 5 hrs. The exersize you go through is to keep oiling the bearings in the trans. The only option to this issue would be tow on dolly or trailer. Dolly assumes 2x4.
I'm guessing you are absolutely right. After rereading the manual, it is pretty clear that you have to do that. I am guessing that running 5 min at a time would not recharge the battery, so I am still considering a charging system like the one recommended above. That way, I can do what Ford requires and not have to run the vehicle for 1/2 hr or so at an idle to recharge.

We tow a ‘15 Edge. We hook up in neutral, stop the engine by pushing the button (key fob model) and drive away. No need to put the car in accy position. We’ve towed for days without starting the car with no difficulty.

We tow a ‘15 Edge. We hook up in neutral, stop the engine by pushing the button (key fob model) and drive away. No need to put the car in accy position. We’ve towed for days without starting the car with no difficulty.
Anyone can do what they want. My guess is you may well regret it one day.

To kinda close this thread, here is what I have been able to figure out. Calling Ford Customer Service was a waste of time. Kept getting cut off and asked to fill out a survey. (I did and gave them all terrible ratings since I did not come close to getting any answers!) Based on what is in the manual, I am convinced that starting the vehicle and running for 5 min every 6 hrs and shifting to D, Then R before back to N has to indicate a concern with not lubricating the transmission. Since I was simply trying to confirm that was the reason for starting it up, I will just follow those instructions and not take any chances hurting the transmission.

I have called the company who installed my tow package and they tell me that I have the "battery tender" package (ie: there is power coming from the Chassis batter of the coach back to the Toad that is supposed to "help" keep the battery charged. Since my battery is over 3 years old, it very likely will not handle the drain, so my next step will be to replace the battery.

Then, after another test run, if the battery doesn't stay sufficiently charged, I will add a solar trickle charger.

Thanks to all who offered information and advise.

Happy RV'ing!

When replacing the battery, find the highest capacity one you can. Our 2014 Honda CR-V came with a barely sufficient battery. It has been replaced with the largest capacity one I could find; about 40% larger than the OEM.

TJ

I have a 2014 Ford Edge that I am towing behind my 2016 Newmar 3214. The car has to be started every 4-6 hrs and run to recharge the battery. We are planning a very long trip to Alaska this year and I think this will be a real pain when on the road for several days at a time. I want to try a trickle charger and have thought of everything from a small 110v battery maintainer that I would have to power from the coach while on the road, to (probably a better idea) getting a solar trickle charger. The problem is I have no idea how much the battery is being drained while going down the road (have to leave ACC on) and what size trickle charger I might need.

Anyone have any experience doing this with suggestions????

Thank You
I think the reason you need to stop every 6 hours is to lubricate your transaxle. You should hold the brake and put the car in drive for a few minutes to pump oil throughout the transaxle. I had a Edge that I pulled for years. I had a quick disconnect on the battery to shut down any power draw. The lights on the car were powered by the coach. I had a seperate light bar strapped to the roof rails on the car. It was a simple easy system for me. Read your owner's manual about towing.

I know this is a somewhat aged thread but Im thinking about towing my ‘16 Edge. What brake system did you choose?

Latest resources

Back