• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bart_Robards

RVF Newbee
Hello all-
We are thinking of pulling to Maine next summer. Been 30 years since I’ve been across I-90 and I-95. Be going from KY to Maine. Any words of wisdom or any reason I shouldn’t pull up that way?

We pulled 5100 miles last summer out West and was by far the best vacation ever.

Tolls ?. Just remember in the NE most parkways are cars only.

You can boondock at NJ Turnpike service areas while other states along they way have limited or no overnight parking. The NY GW bridge and Cross Bronx expressway can be challenging and very slow moving at times.

Update for anyone who comes across this. We did pull to Maine the summer of ‘21. We traveled by way of Erie, upstate NY, Boston, Bar Harbor, and ended in the amazing small town of Greenville, ME with numerous other stops in between. If you haven’t, I strongly recommend the trip with stops to your liking. About 3600 round trip from western KY. It was an amazing trip. Summer of ‘23 we pulled to Colorado and spent 2 weeks exploring the state. Another amazing trip!
Get out and see the country!!

Update for anyone who comes across this. We did pull to Maine the summer of ‘21. We traveled by way of Erie, upstate NY, Boston, Bar Harbor, and ended in the amazing small town of Greenville, ME with numerous other stops in between. If you haven’t, I strongly recommend the trip with stops to your liking. About 3600 round trip from western KY. It was an amazing trip. Summer of ‘23 we pulled to Colorado and spent 2 weeks exploring the state. Another amazing trip!
Thats the way we always go. Once in Upstate NY, we like Hwy 9 from Albany into NH (to avoid the Mass Pike), then points beyond. We’ve made many trips to ”The Villages” in NH (Wakefield, Brookfield, etc) and two summers ago, spent a month touring Maine, first visiting points “Down East”, then up around the perimeter or Northern Maine (known locally as “The Hat”). A very memorable trip.

You can boondock at NJ Turnpike service areas while other states along they way have limited or no overnight parking
If you stop in NJ you should understand all the laws of that state. Some can be viewed as a bit bizarre. There is plenty discussion on this subject on the Net.

When we go back to the Northeast we try to stay on interstate highways and main truck routes. You need to be sure of your routing due to narrow roads ways, weight restrictions and low bridges.
Local map documentation is not always current or correct.
Google sat maps are your friend

Last edited:
I had no issues getting there or back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely will be back and need a resupply of lobster!

Latest resources

Back