• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Truck Failure

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am planning a 2024 trip from the east coast out west pulling a 5th Wheel. If during the trip I experience major failure with my truck requiring weeks or month of repairs, is there an insurance that would provide a suitable replacement truck allowing us to continue the trip? Any feedback is appreciated.

MW
If you’re worried about your truck going the distance I’d say don’t take the trip. Not worth it having that level of problems a thousand miles from home. Your best insurance is good maintenance, keeping up with repairs, and knowing the vehicle well enough to predict what it can and can’t do.

I didn't worry to mutch about the truck, on our trip ,it was a few incinerate drivers and the guy who didn't tie his load down,you just don't expect to see a archery target rolling down a four lane road. ⚠️

I am planning a 2024 trip from the east coast out west pulling a 5th Wheel. If during the trip I experience major failure with my truck requiring weeks or month of repairs, is there an insurance that would provide a suitable replacement truck allowing us to continue the trip? Any feedback is appreciated.

MW
I would suggest a good roadside insurance regardless of the condition of your vehicle. Most automobile insurance will only cover $100 in towing costs for your truck and $100 on the trailer. It's easy to get a few thousand dollars in towing costs for a truck and trailer.

On the other hand, I changed a water pump on a Dodge diesel pickup with a cab over camper in a park in Wyoming for a neighboring couple from Texas on their way to BC and back. They rolled in overheating badly, the pump was shot, and they were told it would be over a week and were given a ridiculous estimate. They were older and didnt have much in the way of tools. We went to an autozone, bought a pump and an hour or so later he was back in service for a little over $100. They wrote a few months later and said they finished their trip with no more issues. So yes, even a small mechanical problem and leave folks stranded. As I recall the truck only had around 80k miles on it.

Latest resources

Back