Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mwalk5

RVF Newbee
I am planning a 2024 trip from the east coast out west pulling a 5th Wheel. If during the trip I experience major failure with my truck requiring weeks or month of repairs, is there an insurance that would provide a suitable replacement truck allowing us to continue the trip? Any feedback is appreciated.

MW

I'll monitor this, my thoughts are no.

I am planning a 2024 trip from the east coast out west pulling a 5th Wheel. If during the trip I experience major failure with my truck requiring weeks or month of repairs, is there an insurance that would provide a suitable replacement truck allowing us to continue the trip? Any feedback is appreciated.

MW
I see two problems that superseded the insurance dilemma. First off, I do not know of any rental company that would allow one to tow any type of trailer other than U Haul and I doubt if U haul would carry any type of truck for your application.. The second is, I doubt any rental company (including U Haul) would allow any modifications ( ie Trailer Brake controller, fifth wheel etc) to be made to their units.

Prior to my retirement, I spent my working life in the insurance/collision repair industry. Insurers do sell "loss of use" coverage but that coverage would not be applicable to a mechanical break down (unless the brake down caused collision damage) and there is always a maximum limit. That limit would probably not be enough to allow a cross country trip.

As a full time traveler, I am always mindful of a mechanical break down, I have used hotel and motels when needed for maintenance work to be completed and the occasional opps. Engine powered A/C compressor failed causing serpentine belt to disintegrate leaving me with no cooling fan, power steering or brakes and a destroyed fan shroud. We were down for over a week waiting for parts.

If you are traveling, it's best that you plan to expect the unexpected.

Safe travels

Darrell

MW
I had my diesel pickup blow an engine in Flagstaff. Had to buy a new pickup and outfit it with a new hitch to finish the trip. First $100,000 vacation I've ever taken 😂😭
No there is no replacement insurance.

Mark

We made it to Wyoming from Indiana and the 1500 Dodge Hemi was tired of carrying the truck camper, altitude change? Thanks to the discover card , sort of 😥 ,we went on to Oregan .

Rather than worry about replacing the truck, I'd plan on getting whatever goes wrong during your trip fixed. There's always www.TruckDown.com and others...
Yes!
It's time to be honest about the condition of your truck! If you have concerns about the readiness or your truck to negotiate the trip (rather than high mileage), you should consider having your mechanic go over those things your concerned about!

If it has more miles on it than you feel comfortable with, and your not ready to spring for another truck, rethink the trip!

Back in the day,when 1000,000 was considered excessive, I was the one buying those cars, and putting another 100k on them before reselling them. Others rely on mechanics and therefore they wouldn't take the same chances on them. Today 250k is low mileage for me!

Do what you feel comfortable doing, but know that the car market is collapsing as we speak!!!

As a side note!

I won't own another Ford, my brother, rest his soul, would not own another Dodge (what I drive).

No guarantees not even with new equipment, anything mechanical can fail. Preventive maintenance is key and knowing the condition of your equipment is about the only insurance you have to minimize the risk of being stranded.

Latest resources

Back