• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Trucks for towing?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I can't imagine ever being happy with a truck with a V6 engine for towing. I don't care how many turbos you hang on it. That engine will work itself to death when fully loaded. I don't think you'll be happy with it. Get yourself a V8.
I've thought the same thing but I know alot of people who claim that they pull great. On the other hand, I've never seen any of them tow anything with their eco-boost and they all own 250s or 2500s too.
I'll stick with my lowly 6.0 gasser.

Campmore,
My only comment is that I think a V8 engine is the way to go for towing due to the torque the engine makes vs. the V6 engine. The Eco Boost engine is a V6 engine that is turbocharged to get those numbers that you referenced. And while the numbers may be accurate you don't tow on paper, you tow in real life. If you'll look at a dyno sheet comparing the two engines you'll see the only way to get those kinds of numbers from a V6 engine is to turn the piss out of it and turbo it on top of that. Going down the road pulling a 10-12,000 lb. trailer this thing will be screaming! The RPM's will be way up there because you are pushing this engine to it's limits. It will also run much hotter than a normally asperated engine would. One thing I know about towing is that heat is NOT your friend. I've seen way too many rigs on the side of the road with the hoods up because they over heated. Start up a mountain and the heat level in the cooling system goes up even higher. Personally I would not consider a V6 engine for towing, unless you're towing Sea Do's or Wave runners or a motorcycle or something like that. That's my $.02. Keep the change. :ROFLMAO:
i couldn't agree more; last year i had a F150/3.5L twin turbo, everyone i talked to including the dealer who sold me the truck said "oh your good up to 13,000#". My TT weighs 6840# 'dry'. So me and the keeper took a small trip to test it out, to Florida(from east Texas), we hadn't gone 100 miles the keeper says "you need a bigger truck'. It may be rated and wants to pull it-but there's a difference in wanting to and safely doing so. Since we were going to Yellowstone/Tetons/Zion/Bryce(just got back) we moved up to the 6.7L F250 diesel-great move. The tow/haul and engine break worked like a charm-and i accidently took wrong turn in Swan Valley and ended up on infamous Hwy 22/teton pass. made it no sweat. SO-it's not how much can you pull but how much can you stop also. SAFETY is the key ingredient....while a half-ton might be fine if you ever do hilly traveling it will be a white-knuckler.

I had a 2016 32’ prowler, I started out with a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. When diesel prices spiked I sold it and bought a Toyota Tundra with the iforce package, I installed a set of wireless air lift air bags. In my opinion there was absolutely no difference in towing capacity! Of course the Toyota did use a bit more gas but was compatible towing wise! And definitely needs the air bags! That’s just my opinion!
were the air bags to "level' the truck or smooth out the ride?

Latest resources

Back