Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Slowride

RVF Newbee
I've spent hours reading and still unsure about the #"s. I have a 17' f150 crew 5.0 3.55axle 157" wb 6.5' bed 35gal tank using a fastway WD hitch . The yellow loading sticker says 1853lbs. Cargo . GVWR says 7050lbs. The trailer in question is a Wildwood 26dbud UVW 6923lbs
GVWR 9595lbs hitch weight 866lbs . Will have about 600lbs for occupants in truck with another 200 cargo. My main concern is how much gear I can have, I know the trailer allows about 2500 in the trailer( which i will be nowhere near). I also know my truck cargo needs to stay lite(cargo in trailer). Any feedback would be much appreciated..

This doesn't help .. yes I know the 9595lbs gvwr (gross vechicle weight rating) of the trailer would be slightly over what my truck is rated . This trailer # would exist if I loaded the trailer w/ 2500lbs of cargo. Dry weight is only 7050lbs which is within my towing capacity. Im looking for help with the configuration of how my cargo effects the hitch weight, also how much weight can I safely put in the truck without overloading. Not trying to max out just trying to better understand these formulas. Im fairly new to towing such a load.

The guide says 11,000 towing lbs
That may be the towing capacity, but you need to look at the payload capacity of the truck. By your figures you should have about 1,000 pounds left MINUS the weight of the hitch. That would be the maximum tongue weight. Also, most of the Owner's Manuals have a clause in the towing section about the frontal area of the trailer and subsequent wind resistance. Also, the UVW of your trailer means nothing to you. You will never tow it at that weight even brand new from the dealer. Using the UVW of the trailer to justify towing over capacity is foolish in my opinion. There is a safety issue that you need to consider like the braking capacity, the engine work load, the chassis capacity, tire capacity, etc., etc.

Last edited:
You will only answer that question if you load the truck the way you want and take it across the scales. You may be within the GVW on the truck but be over on the front or rear axle.

Thats where fine tuning the WDH comes into play as well as keeping the tongue weight as low as possible.

Latest resources

Back