Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Turning breakers off at pedestal prior to connecting/disconnecting?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm turn the breaker off before connection and off prior to disconnect camp. However on the initial connection the coach has very little current draw since I'm running the power through a Progressive Industries EMS. If I plug into a hot 50A receptacle the EMS is the only thing on since it has a ~ 2 min delay to "qualify" the power before connecting the power to the transfer switch. Now on disconnect there could be significant power being applied particularly if I forget to shut down the air conditioners, and / or hot Oasis elements.

On the flip side, if you run something like a Progressive HW50C, it gives you like 20 seconds after plugin before it connect the inside to the outside. I try to remember to turn off the pedestal but don't all the time. Thankful for the HW50C protecting me.

I pulled my 50 amp cord from my socket Installed at home "live" one time. I don't recall the AC's being on or anything but it made a mighty ZAP that put me on my butt from surprise and I indeed saw an arc. Maybe it was a one time thing because of something I don't know about but you can bet your boots I work that breaker EVERY time nowadays.

Latest resources

Back