Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Calling all pellet grill and other smoker grilling aficionados. Are you able to tell any difference in the types of wood/pellets used? I use Green Mountain Grills pellets mostly, sometimes I've gotten traeger pellets from Home Depot. I've seen charts as to which type of wood to use with what you're grilling but can you tell a difference? If so, what is your suggestion as to what types of wood to use?

I don't know anything about "pellets;" have never used them. I do have significant experience over the years using different woods in smoking, however. And, there is a significant difference between flavors imparted by fruit wood (apple, peach, cherry, etc.), mesquite, oak, hickory, alder, etc. At least, I can tel the difference.

Pellets, being made essentially from sawdust/chips and some kind of binder/glue, I wonder if they lose some of their aromatics in the manufacturing process.

My favorite smoking woods are apple, peach and alder. The fruit woods impart a slightly sweeter smoke flavor; alder gives a little stronger smoky flavor without the sweetness. I rarely use mesquite as it imparts a stronger flavor profile than I typically like. Of course, my choices are also influenced by which woods are commonly found in the Pacific Northwest. ;)

TJ

My favorite smoking woods are apple, peach and alder. The fruit woods impart a slightly sweeter smoke flavor; alder gives a little stronger smoky flavor without the sweetness. I rarely use mesquite as it imparts a stronger flavor profile than I typically like. Of course, my choices are also influenced by which woods are commonly found in the Pacific Northwest. ;)
Spoken like a true barbecue aficionado!

Spoken like a true barbecue aficionado!
Well, I've been known to scorch a few racks of ribs and slabs of brisket in my lifetime. I probably need to get one of those fancy smokers like @Neal and some others have, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble to cut my favorite smoking wood into those tiny little pellets. :ROFLMAO:

TJ

Latest resources

Back