Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Altazi

RVF Regular
I noticed that the right rear corner of the sink in our 2018 Surveyor 220RBS was sagging. Looking underneath, I discovered the sink is held up only by these tiny screws shown below. I’m surprised it held on as long as it has. Disappointing, really.

I would like to secure the sink properly, but it is impossible to reach back underneath to access it. I’m considering removing the countertop, but this seems like a daunting proposition. I could see some screws in the wooden cabinet frame that secure the countertop along the front and left sides. On the right side, near the stove, the cabinet frame is covered by a thin piece of trim paneling - I cannot see any screws for the countertop there. Are they on the outside of the cabinet, near the stove? If so, that means I need to remove the stove … damn.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6668.jpeg
    IMG_6668.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I noticed that the right rear corner of the sink in our 2018 Surveyor 220RBS was sagging. Looking underneath, I discovered the sink is held up only by these tiny screws shown below. I’m surprised it held on as long as it has. Disappointing, really.

I would like to secure the sink properly, but it is impossible to reach back underneath to access it. I’m considering removing the countertop, but this seems like a daunting proposition. I could see some screws in the wooden cabinet frame that secure the countertop along the front and left sides. On the right side, near the stove, the cabinet frame is covered by a thin piece of trim paneling - I cannot see any screws for the countertop there. Are they on the outside of the cabinet, near the stove? If so, that means I need to remove the stove … damn.

Any thoughts?
It looks like the sealant around the sink has broke free. I see water stains around the screws. The sealant is the primary holder of the sink with the screws to hold it in place until it cures. The same thing happened to our undermount sink in our kitchen.
What I did is clean the mating surface the best I could by using the back side of a hacksaw blade. Then I got the sink sealant from Lowes and squirted in the gap. I pressed the sink back up as hard as I could and wedged it in place with wood. Until it dried. I added a couple more screws for good measure.

It looks like the sealant around the sink has broke free. I see water stains around the screws. The sealant is the primary holder of the sink with the screws to hold it in place until it cures. The same thing happened to our undermount sink in our kitchen.
What I did is clean the mating surface the best I could by using the back side of a hacksaw blade. Then I got the sink sealant from Lowes and squirted in the gap. I pressed the sink back up as hard as I could and wedged it in place with wood. Until it dried. I added a couple more screws for good measure.
1711333453363.jpeg
There is no sealant or adhesive. I could squirt some in from this access point, but it would only be for this one corner. I’d really like to remount and seal the sink properly. I just don’t know how to non-destructively remove the countertop.

View attachment 23262There is no sealant or adhesive. I could squirt some in from this access point, but it would only be for this one corner. I’d really like to remount and seal the sink properly. I just don’t know how to non-destructively remove the countertop.
Understand, but you do have sealant, I see some of it in your previous picture. The area that broke free may not have sealant thus the reason for it to break free.
Looking at your first picture I can see evidence of water leakage. May not of been sealed correctly.

So this is how Newmar does it, maybe you could do the same
They glue this aluminum Chanel that has a T slot that a carriage bolt slides in to, a large washer hold a strip of wood against the sink

Attachments

• 705B4104-29CC-44EF-B6DC-5081AF4C9D80.jpeg
    705B4104-29CC-44EF-B6DC-5081AF4C9D80.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 6B94CD4B-E057-4F31-8E2A-D6ADE1144C4F.png
    6B94CD4B-E057-4F31-8E2A-D6ADE1144C4F.png
    11.2 MB · Views: 20
  • D099CBCD-50BB-4B60-8AB2-7F7F8DC209DC.png
    D099CBCD-50BB-4B60-8AB2-7F7F8DC209DC.png
    11 MB · Views: 30
I should have noted that in these pictures the wrong glue was used so the aluminum is loose
On yours I would guess that the sink was glued in with adhesive silicone and the screw held it in place while the glue dried

Understand, but you do have sealant, I see some of it in your previous picture. The area that broke free may not have sealant thus the reason for it to break free.
Looking at your first picture I can see evidence of water leakage. May not of been sealed correctly.
The white stuff in the first picture is internal to the sink unit, it’s not between the sink flange and the countertop.

The white stuff in the first picture is internal to the sink unit, it’s not between the sink flange and the countertop.
The stuff circled looks like sealant to me. It looks clear in the picture and looks to be squeezed out even around the screw.
Just to be sure there is always something in between the sink and counter to seal it.

Attachments

• IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 7
First a disclaimer!

(I don't much care about appearances)

That out of the way, it is obvious by the pictures, we are not comparing apples here. I see three different materials in the examples. 1) particle board 2)hardboard 3) fake marble.

Of the three the plastic lends itself better to under counter sinks. The other two the first water encersion causes the counter materials to expand and break any bond around the damage!! That is the problem here!!!

In my opinion, you can patch/hide the problem, or remodel the kitchen area!!! At this stage you will never truly fix it.

Because I don't have an eye for modern, I have replaced the particle board crap with a genuine homemade butcher block counter with top mounted stainless sink. That is more fitting in my 83 trailer! But definitely dated. Typically such damage leads to mildew and a stink under counter that you won't get rid of, and I look for, when assessing a trailer to purchase!!!

As a side! I can't morally patch and sell. I can't patch without seeing my efforts every time I look that direction. Everyone not like me, I'm glad for them. Their lives are easier, I think!

Latest resources

Back