• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Undermount Sink Loose in 2018 Surveyor 220RBS

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
To the op, it would be helpful to see a picture from the top side showing sink and countertop

The stuff circled looks like sealant to me. It looks clear in the picture and looks to be squeezed out even around the screw.
Just to be sure there is always something in between the sink and counter to seal it.
You are correct - that does look like sealant. I didn’t see it because I was looking at a tiny picture on my phone.

Still, it seems that they missed a few spots.

First a disclaimer!

(I don't much care about appearances)

That out of the way, it is obvious by the pictures, we are not comparing apples here. I see three different materials in the examples. 1) particle board 2)hardboard 3) fake marble.

Of the three the plastic lends itself better to under counter sinks. The other two the first water encersion causes the counter materials to expand and break any bond around the damage!! That is the problem here!!!

In my opinion, you can patch/hide the problem, or remodel the kitchen area!!! At this stage you will never truly fix it.

Because I don't have an eye for modern, I have replaced the particle board crap with a genuine homemade butcher block counter with top mounted stainless sink. That is more fitting in my 83 trailer! But definitely dated. Typically such damage leads to mildew and a stink under counter that you won't get rid of, and I look for, when assessing a trailer to purchase!!!

As a side! I can't morally patch and sell. I can't patch without seeing my efforts every time I look that direction. Everyone not like me, I'm glad for them. Their lives are easier, I think!
What you are looking at is a thin plastic film (looks like marble) covering a countertop made of medium-density fiber board (MDF). The film doesn’t quite reach over the edge of the MDF, which is why you can see the MDF peeking out, There was no serious water leak - just a tiny bit of water got between the top flange of the sink and the MDF.

I want to remove the countertop, remount the sink, and put it all back together. I don’t want to replace anything - I just want to fix what is there. Any suggestions on how to non-destructively remove the countertop?

I don’t think they missed a spot, the issue is they are essentially gluing the sink with a silicon adhesive to a synthetic wood surface and using those little screws to hold the sink in place while drying in production. This type of sink and countertop combination needs to be used with care to not let water set at the top of the sink near the counter top, water weakens the wood and intern weakens the bond of the sink.

I need to remove the stove to get at the right side of the countertop. I have removed four screws from the top frame area, and two screws on the front below the oven door. I have disconnected the gas line.

There still appears to be something holding the stove in place. I looked at the installation manual, but it doesn’t mention mounting screws, on,y required clearances.

Ideas? Thanks!

A trick I found was to cut a 2x4 wider then the width of the sink with a hole drilled above the drain, I used a treaded rod with nuts and washers to draw the sink back in place with new sealant

This shows the issue I am having with the stove. In order to remove the countertop, I must remove the stove. I can't figure out what is still holding the stove in place.
1711390794074.png

Are you going to replace the countertop

This shows the sink & countertop. Looking up inside the cabinet, I can see screws in the cabinet's wood frame that hold the countertop in place. Inside the cabinet on the stove side, there is a trim panel blocking the view of the frame. I suspect that any countertop mounting screws along that side of the cabinet will be accessible once I remove the stove.
1711390932136.png

Are you going to replace the countertop
I would like to re-use the existing countertop at this point.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind replacing the countertop at some point, but we are going camping in a week. My wife would scream if she knew what I was doing, trying to take everything apart.

Latest resources

Back