• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Answered Underwater Camera Recommendations

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We spent 2 months on Maui and another 2 months on Kauai one summer. We dove every day almost, doing most of our dives as shore dives. I got spoiled real quick with shore diving.

We did take a few boats, but finding the right dive master is key. Once we found a guy we liked, we ended up doing a lot of diving with him after his tours where done for the day.

In Turks - we have only done boat diving. The dive sites are just too far away to be reachable by shore.

In Florida, I rent a boat for the month and we do our own boat dives. That is the best of both worlds, but it does require more than 2 people, as we have to have someone that is a capable diver & boat driver stay on the boat at all times.

I have only done Mexico once on a boat, and will never do it again. Further south (BonAire, etc) the shore diving is just as good as mexico, but the crowds are far less.

Great information everyone. Appreciate the safety tips. We are just doing a discovery dive with the Florida Keys Dive Center. If we enjoy it and think it’s worth it, maybe we’ll commit to certification. Maybe not.

As for the GoPro, I plan to get two and use mounts so that they aren’t interfering with anything or anyone. Obviously if the instructors don’t want us to do that, they’re the boss. Safety first. Always.

I have dove with FKDC -- great crew. You chose well.

Two kids coming along. I don’t have the luxury of mistakes with them. Thanks for confirming my choice. Means a lot

I love the world above (flying) and the world below (scuba). Let us know how it goes and share your pics/videos from your GoPro...

After getting more info, we’re going to have to wait a year. The youngest is 9 and PADI cert minimum age is 10.

I guess it’s another year of snorkeling in the Keys for us. Life is rough sometimes.

After getting more info, we’re going to have to wait a year. The youngest is 9 and PADI cert minimum age is 10.

I guess it’s another year of snorkeling in the Keys for us. Life is rough sometimes.
There is plenty to see while snorkeling in the Keys at 20 ft or less. Not having to deal with all the added hardware for Scuba is a plus. Freediving is a trip!!!!!

Bummer but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity. Those that can, should, and gain experience then bring junior on board next year.

Bummer but I wouldn't pass up the opportunity. Those that can, should, and gain experience then bring junior on board next year.
I am with @MapNerd on this. We have 4 kids, 24,21,14,10. The older 2 where certified at the same time and we did a lot of diving with them, while leave the younger 2 with family.

Now that the younger ones are finally *both* old enough, we are going to be getting them certified. It would not be a happy home if we left one out while the rest went off to have fun.

As I have told my kids, sometimes being older has advantages. Other times, being younger has advantages. In this case, the younger ones where certified earlier in life while their older sibling had to wait a bit.

Life ain't fair...best lesson I have been able to teach my kids.

My wife and I thought maybe I would do it by myself this year and get a little experience under my belt and then we can all do it next year and I might be of some minor help to the instructor next year. We go to the keys several times every winter so it’ll still happen.

Latest resources

Back