Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
Headed to the keys next month. We’re planning to go take some scuba classes and get certified all together, then go on a couple of dives.

Pictures and video of this would be amazing to have. Does anyone have any recommendations for underwater cameras, or gear that will waterproof an iPhone 11 Pro, 1Phone 12, or a Cannon EOS Rebel T6i?

I spent a lot of money on my nikon dslr case. Flash, battery, light kit, lens attachment for my 3 favorite lens. I had close to 5k invested in just scuba water gear.

I used a nikon d3 and d300 for my water activity, as I had retired them from land usage.

Pictures where excellent.

The "Christmas tree" appearance I had to endure was another story. So much equipment.

My son couldn't afford all that, so he bought a cheap ($500) gopro.

His video and pictures rivaled mine.

He was never scaring the fish with the camera. He was able to keep it palmed while diving, and had no drag.

My point....less is more.

Another thing--most dive boats will not allow you to carry large camera's when doing your dives unless you can show a very experienced dive. We had a boat in Turks & Caicos deny me taking my camera even though I showed them I had 300 dives in the last 4 years. They insisted that the first dive we had to prove our skills due to the current. My son, who only had 10 dives at that point was allowed to take his gopro.

I had to admit to myself they where right after getting out. The first dive had a ton of currents, and was not a problem, but that bulky camera setup would have changed my drag profile tremendously.

For the keys, your average depth is going to be 24ft, with most of your time spent between 15 and 20. There are a few deep dives for wrecks that are +80, but those are the exception.

When you are less than 20ft, you don't need much lighting. Beyond 20ft, you need to start thinking about light kits. For deep dives, you need multiple light kits in different color spectrums to get the colors to show properly.

With LED's, this is still very cheap and small.

GoPro is a genius idea! Thanks!!

I'm a big fan of GoPro's, own 3 (2 x Hero 9's, Hero 10 coming tomorrow). I highly recommend their subscription, you'll save big in accessories too and also if something happens you can send it for replacement. So yes, I agree the GoPro is the one I'd use. And I need to get back to scuba diving. Miss it. Right off the beach of Ft. Lauderdale was great when it was too rough in the keys. Coral reefs not far off the beach.

As I am a PADI certified Dive Master, I would say "getting certified and diving and making pictures" you may find this to be a challenge. If not somewhat dangerous. Pay attention to your air supply and come up with 500 lbs in your tank. Suck it dry and it will likely be your last dive. This may be the rule of the dive boat captain as well. I suggest you dive with an experienced dive partner, perhaps one with an Advanced Certification. Two green inexperienced divers as partners is not advised.

As to a camera, the GoPro is the way to do it today. Do pay attention to the "certified depths" of the camera. Most of the Keys are relatively shallow and the head boats will only drop you in 60 ft of water or less. There are lots to see in the 15' to 60' depths. Good luck, enjoy the dives, and most of all BE SAFE. As my friend and dive partner, a police Seargent briefs his detail, "your objective is to do your job but most important, return home at the end of your shift."

@Bob K4TAX is dead on with the fact that diving and videoing are at odds.

Suggestions (these will make more sense once you dive):

* Do not take camera on your first dive(s). Wait until you are comfortable with your buoyancy control and orientation.
* Do not take camera on dives where visibility does not allow you to keep track of the boat at all times. Not a big deal in the keys, but other areas of Florida or Mexico do a drift dive, and you must pay attention to the group.
* When you take the camera, strap it to your wrist that has your dive computer (assuming you wear one on your wrist). I use a Suunto Dive computer that is linked to my air tanks. Looks like a watch. The position of the camera is such that I can hold my hands in front of me in a braced position, and point the camera with buoyancy control, while keeping an eye on depth and air.---CANNOT OVER STRESS THE SAFETY OF THIS.

Finally--only one camera per dive buddy set. Your partner needs to be paying attention to you because the camera is a distraction.

It is actually far worse than texting and driving. You get into the moment of wanting to catch the octopus and start swimming after it, only to discover that you have no idea where you are. If your buddy is doing the same, you will both end up separated and having to surface. Currents make this very dangerous.

A better option is diving with a pro that's a photographer and can video YOU. But then again, once upon a time, down by the river, I was diving off the coast of Japan. A friend and myself going with a friend that is a professional diver, instructor, photographer going to take pictures/videos of the sea snakes. Said sea snakes are extremely poisonous and deadly. Yeah, bright idea. So we dove with him and watched said snake come out. That was the last I saw of photographer and snake as I was able to kick up quite a wake with my fins as I got the heck out of there and headed to shore.

I have not dove in Japan--or any of the eastern Asia area. All of my diving has been Caribbean, Gulf, and Pacific.

Asia is on my bucket list.

Hawaii was probably my fav. Going on diving tours is highly recommended, they know where to go such as plane or ship wrecks. Tide and current awareness, etc.

We dove in sea condition RED in Japan one day. The water didn't seem that bad, so yeah, young and stupid we did it. Let's just say getting back to shore took everything we had. The current was going out so bad but you didn't realize that until it was time to come back. One of those crawl on the shore and lay on your back moments. The giant cargo ship going over us was fun though, although spooky.

Latest resources

Back