Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
Has anyone heard of this company Caylx. They state they are a charity. You donate “x” amount and get unlimited Wi-Fi. For less than $50.00 month.

Reportedly they have been around several years and good reviews.

Yes, I am aware of it, considered it and have seen mostly good reviews. Can't remember the start up cost, a couple hundred $$ for their network locked modem maybe? Thought about it, but the set up I have now with Visible (Verizon) for truly unlimited, non throttled 5G data with my own unlocked phone that I can use in the US, Canada and Mexico for $35 a month is hard to beat and has worked very well for our needs in the west.

Yes, I am aware of it, considered it and have seen mostly good reviews. Can't remember the start up cost, a couple hundred $$ for their network locked modem maybe? Thought about it, but the set up I have now with Visible (Verizon) for truly unlimited, non throttled 5G data with my own unlocked phone that I can use in the US, Canada and Mexico for $35 a month is hard to beat and has worked very well for our needs in the west.
I've looked at Visible. Their website says the unlimited plan:

"Visible includes mobile hotspot with unlimited data at speeds up to 5Mbps, limited to one device. After 50GB, when the network is experiencing heavy traffic, your data may be temporarily slowed."

5Mbps will just barely stream and you could be slowed. This is what holds me off on this plan. Decent price though if you don't want to stream and just surf.

Last edited:
Using Visible, I tether my phone to a modified GL.iNet Beryl router and connect 3 Roku TVs, two laptops, two phones and an iPad. The router mods have given me 5G speeds up to 90Mbps. So far this month, we've streamed 247 GB. No issues when watching Netflix, Disney, Prime and web surfing at the same tine. Sometimes using two TVs!

We have the mobile box through FMCA. That one is AT&T 4G unlimited. Speeds max at 30.

We also have T-Mobile home internet which is 5G and also unlimited.

FMCA is $59 a month and can be put on hold when not using dropping it to a minimal fee to keep the account (don’t remember exact number).

T-Mobile will drop to $35 a month once we switch our phones.

Using Visible, I tether my phone to a modified GL.iNet Beryl router and connect 3 Roku TVs, two laptops, two phones and an iPad. The router mods have given me 5G speeds up to 90Mbps. So far this month, we've streamed 247 GB. No issues when watching Netflix, Disney, Prime and web surfing at the same tine. Sometimes using two TVs!
Can you put the router mumbo-jumbo into laymans terms? Networking is not my forte.

In layman's terms, you need to add these custom firewall rules.

#ipv6ttlfix
ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -j HL --hl-set 65
#startTTL
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 65
#endTTL

Restart router, tether phone to router, restart phone. If speed not increased, change 65 to 66
As far as I know, this only works with GL.iNet Slate and Beryl routers.

Another tweak I’d forgotten, if you have an Android phone, I don’t, activate developer mode and change the APN setting for increased speed.

I was introduced to the Calyx Institute this past January at the Tampa RV show by a fellow Newmar owner. I had been struggling with the FMCA solution by rarely getting above 5 mbps for the 12 mbps plan. I was told a solution was to pay $5 more per month for the 25 mbps plan. Did not feel like throwing more money in that direction.
So signed up with the highest membership level, "Sustainer." I like the MiFi card with this plan level. Cost $750 the first year, which includes the Mifi card. $500 per year after that. The hotspot runs on the T-Mobile network.
Over Easter I was in Sebring Florida having some fogged windows replaced and found the MiFi card was reaching 300+ mbps. For the most part, in my travels, I stay around 30 to 40 mbps.
Far better than FMCA's solution.
At my cabin in Galax, VA I do not get any Internet connection via this hotspot. That's okay for me as I have a modem connected to the Comcast network for streaming.

Latest resources

Back