• Commercial/Vendors welcome

US 1 in Maine

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hopefully the roads to & from our next destination are big rig friendly! (Although not as big as you fellas!)
After 3 nights in Bar Harbor area, we'll be headed to the southern tip of Georgetown Island to Sagadahoc Bay Campground for a couple of nights. Supposed to be scenic and very dog friendly.
We are in the planning stage of visiting the Maine Coast. I was sort of discounting the Bar Harbor area as maybe being too touristy. We are more hidden gem scenery types. We live in the Banff / Lake Louise area and, I'm sure you are aware, most attractions are very tpouristy around here but, we know of places that are just as scenic but a little more off the beaten path thus a whole lot less visitors to contend with. That is more of what we would like to see. Any recomendations out there?

Darrell

We are in the planning stage of visiting the Maine Coast. I was sort of discounting the Bar Harbor area as maybe being too touristy. We are more hidden gem scenery types. We live in the Banff / Lake Louise area and, I'm sure you are aware, most attractions are very tpouristy around here but, we know of places that are just as scenic but a little more off the beaten path thus a whole lot less visitors to contend with. That is more of what we would like to see. Any recomendations out there?

Darrell
I’d like to see Lake Louise and that entire Banff area, how gorgeous! We stayed at West Bay Acadia Campground in the Schoodic Penninsula area of Acadia. It’s fantastic…only like 24 or so campsites, 3 (literal) levels to choose from and we stayed in the lowest level, spot #1, as the view is beautiful and the walk down to the water very short. They have kayaks ( a must if weather is nice), the sunrises are incredible, the sites are spacious, the caretakers and super helpful and friendly and it’s very dog friendly. The other 2 levels are a bit elevated so views are wonderful there and the walk down to the water is not long at all. A little pricey but definitely worth it! We drove to Bar Harbor one afternoon. It’s really nice, of course, but crawling with people.

Safe travels and enjoy! Lots of good lobster however restaurants are average, pricey, and sadly lots of businesses in the entire area are closed and many for sale.

Agreed with Bar Harbor! Very touristy and crowded. Acadia NP, however, is fantastic and should not be avoided.
We visited several small coastal towns near the park, and were delighted with the difference from Bar Harbor.

I have to laugh at all the people who go to a top tourist destination then complain because there are lots of tourist!
To the OP. Yes you can drive up on 1 bur be carful about getting off on 1A. That is where it can get a bit tight. I find a campground in the area and park my RV and take the toad to go explore. When are you going? We have been as far "Down East" as you can go. look at Seaview Campground & Cottages.
Be shure you stop in Freeport for the food and shopping. It is the home of LLBean. I spent a few weeks there in July at Cedar Haven Family Campground. Ok it wasn't all shopping as there were grand kids just south of Freeport.
Did you know they sell lobster rolls at MacDonalds in MA?
Bill

"Did you know they sell lobster rolls at MacDonalds in MA?"

Too late! Are they any good? We had some good ones and some bland tasteless ones when there!

We pretty much pass on Micky D's everything. It was great when the kids were very small. For some reason they finished thier meals with no complaints and the prices back then were reasonable. But thenks for the Heads Up.

When we visited Prince Edward Island we found what the locals called "A Church Lobster Supper". If you ever come across one, DO IT even though it is a bit touristy!! OMG! It started with a feast of Mussels, then Seafood Chowder, next came Salads then the Lobster (you choose the size before you are seated) and then Dessert. I think the cost was about $60.00 Cdn per person but what a feast!! New Glasgow Lobster Suppers

Darrell

I like scallops rolls more than lobster rolls. I haven't bought a lobster roll from Mac Donalds. I would rather go to Iggy’s Doughboy and Chowder House in RI.
Bill

I have to laugh at all the people who go to a top tourist destination then complain because there are lots of tourist!
Bill
And that is why we do our best to avoid them. There are certainly exceptions of course. An example, we are not fans of crowds but how can one visit New York City and avoid them? Our visit was worth putting up with the hoards. But New York is selling "a big city". That is what we expected to see. The same with LA, New Orleans, San Francisco and a few others. Had I never been to the Banff area before, I guess maybe I would succomb to the hype too. For those of you that want the scenery withour the crowd here is where I would go. Calgary is the point where most folks start to head west. Don't. Take Highway 2 north following directions to Olds Alberta (about 50 miles) then head west on highway 27 to the town of Sundre. From there, take Highway 22 (The Cowboy Trail) north to Rocky Mountain House. From Rocky, you will head west on Highway 11. This is the gateway to the Rockys. Highway 11 (David Thompson Highway) will take you into the mountains and alond side a beautiful lake for a while and the scenery will surpass what Banff offers. Highway 11 meets highway 93 (The Ice Fields Parkway) at a small settlement called The Saskatchewan River Crossing. All of the roads I have mentioned are very big rig doable. Highway 93 will take you north to Jasper (which is no where near as touristy as Banff) and you can continue on to Alaska if that is your destination. From Lake Louise to Jasper there is only one full service campgrouns/RV Park Trhe same exists between Rocky Mountain House and Jasper. For both, there are a few unserviced Provincial or Federal Park campgrounds, Mostly, there is no cell service. There is limited gasoline/diesel available.

To visit the Banff area requires reservations for RV Parks probably a year in adavance. You must take a shuttle to see L:ake Louise (the actual lake) and you will be shouilder to shoulder with other visitors, The towns of Banff (and Canmore where we now have our home base but have sold it to be out of the rat race) are so traffic jammed that it is almost impossible to navigate. Neither of these towns were ever designed to handle the amount of people that arrive. You might be able to say you have visited the Banff area but I doubt you would say it was enjoyable if you are looking for nature (which is what Banff is selling). From Rocky to Jasper, one should be able to travel without any reservations.

Darrell

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back