Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We learned a couple things.
- Colorado has a possibly handy website for route planning around construction: coloradotrips.org. recommended by locals.
- Road construction sites are open (no flag wavers, no 1-way traffic delays) from 5:30pm Friday until 8:30 am Monday.
(we came through a 1-way construction area, about 5 miles, that delayed us at least 1/2 hour).
- US 50 between Montrose and Sapinero is alternating 1-way on weekdays - and it's a filthy muddy tooth-fillings-loosening white-knuckle ride ...not good for diesel...but doable if you go about 10-30 mph and ignore the 25 cars lined up behind you. The alternate route is about 80 extra miles at 25-30 mph on a paved 2-lane road with zero shoulder beyond the white lines through Hotchkiss. I looked at it on Earth and didn't think it was bad if you take it slow, but one motorhome owner said he;s NEVEr do that road again.
I think, if I had to do over, I'd seriously consider the detour through Hotchkiss.
Thing is, in Colorado, you just don't have a lot of route options and you always have constructio somewhere.

Speed limit through that construction zone is only 25. I didn't have any problems 2 weeks ago.

Speed limit through that construction zone is only 25. I didn't have any problems 2 weeks ago.
They've had a lot of rain since then, it seems, because there were good-sized chugholes, and worrisome loose edges. The chugholes were the worst part, because they can make you feel like you're gonna lose control. And our backend was covered in mud afterwards, not good for pushers. Toad was dirty, too, but not as dirty as I'd have expected.
We're going to have to have the radiator cleaned after that trip.

We have been getting a lot of rains lately complete with mud and rock slides. CDOT needs to make the contractor do a better job of filling the holes as they occur.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back