• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Using Stage 8? Watch Out

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I agree metal inserts are the best, but in our case I’m concerned about two issues:
* To do it properly, you have to remove and reinstall the motors. Not that easy.
* Drilling and tapping the pot metal bosses with a bigger diameter drill to accommodate the helicoil, will weaken even more the pot metal area that takes all the torque force of the motor.

I agree metal inserts are the best, but in our case I’m concerned about two issues:
* To do it properly, you have to remove and reinstall the motors. Not that easy.
* Drilling and tapping the pot metal bosses with a bigger diameter drill to accommodate the helicoil, will weaken even more the pot metal area that takes all the torque force of the motor.
Are the bosses breaking or the threads stripping?

So if it fails on a trip is that less inconvenient?

Of course, the choice is always yours!

I think you might have read my post about the bolts with the Stage 8,s coming loose on another blog. It appears that the threads are stretching in the aluminum gear housing and oblonging the bolt holes.

A couple weeks ago I did my bedroom motor and just yesterday I finished reworking my kitchen slide motors, all using the studs that I JB welded in along with Nord-locks.

I can't blame the Stage 8's as they did there job of keeping the bolts from turning. Hopefully with the studs epoxied in place this will be the last time I have to mess with them.
The motor I recently replaced was a through-bolt design so it doesnt have this problem. I have used heli-coils sucsessfuly but I’m not sure they can take the torque necessary to hold this in place (maybe with a generous portion of red lock-tite?) and I don’t think there is enough metal for an insert such as found in alloy engine cases for head studs. Maybe the JB will hold together for the duration. Fortunately one can always close these slides manually as I had to do a few months ago.

Latest resources

Back