• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question VA Medical Benefits

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Started the process with Trajector Medical today, or at least the initial online part, to apply for partial VA disability. We will see what happens.

I had lunch with an old buddy from my working days this week. He served 3 years in the Army back in the late 60's. He was not a VN vet nor did he have any type of disability from his service. His annual income is probably between 90,000 and 110,000 currently as a retiree. He showed me his VA medical card he has had since the early 2000's. He recently received a new pair of glasses for $50 from the VA, he gets all his scripts free, plus his hearing aids last year were almost free.

What gives? I thought you could only get medical benefits from the VA if you were on disability or your income was below a certain level?
The disability have to be service connected in order to get benefits. At least that's what was told to my husband.

The disability have to be service connected in order to get benefits. At least that's what was told to my husband.
Correct. You can possibly get VA health care without having a disability but to get monthly paid benefits from the VA for disability you have to show your issues are service connected.

Had the hearing test yesterday at the VA clinic. As suspected she said I needed hearing aids. They weren't sure but thought the deductible would be either $50 or $100. They are tiny, rechargeable, and will work with blue-tooth through my iphone, should have them in a month.

Now to decide on filing a claim for partial disability. She questioned me on what job I had in the military, when I served, and where I served. We talked about not having ear protection on the range in basic and of course incidents in VN that contributed to early hearing loss. At the end of the exam though she summed it up by saying that "most" of my hearing loss was due to age (I'm turning 70 in 5 months).

I may contact the company Alan mentioned or try to file myself.
I will recommend you search thru your medical records. Yes it's tedious but you need to find medical visit regarding this problem or any health problems you are experiencing. Believe me even if you went to the doctor and they didn't properly took care of you that could be a problem for any claims affectecting you for the rest of your life. There are companies that can help you file but of course there is always a large fee for their services.

For decades I thought that I had no chance of getting disability for my hearing loss because I had no medical records from my time in the Army. I had a hearing test the day I was inducted and that was it. Then I saw a facebook ad from the company I ended up going with - they said that they had great success with disability claims so I decided to check into their claims. I'd been wearing hearing aids, and paying dearly for them, for about 25 years, but had no documentation of hearing issues from my Paratrooper days. I submitted my first claim to the VA for tinnitus and within a couple of months I was awarded 10% service-connected disability. The company then responded with "let's get you some more for hearing loss" and again, it took a couple of months, but I was awarded another 30%. Again, the company stepped up and said "How about trying for some more by claiming "lifestyle impact"? The result: I am at 50% service-connected disability - all with the only service-connected documentation being my induction physical.

The company I went with was called Vet Comp & Pen, but they have since changed their name to Trajector Medical - a google search for either name will get you to their web page. They do charge for their service, but only if they are successful. If you're having problems getting the VA to accept your claim, or you think you don't have a valid claim, I'd say give these people a chance - you might be surprised!

For decades I thought that I had no chance of getting disability for my hearing loss because I had no medical records from my time in the Army. I had a hearing test the day I was inducted and that was it. Then I saw a facebook ad from the company I ended up going with - they said that they had great success with disability claims so I decided to check into their claims. I'd been wearing hearing aids, and paying dearly for them, for about 25 years, but had no documentation of hearing issues from my Paratrooper days. I submitted my first claim to the VA for tinnitus and within a couple of months I was awarded 10% service-connected disability. The company then responded with "let's get you some more for hearing loss" and again, it took a couple of months, but I was awarded another 30%. Again, the company stepped up and said "How about trying for some more by claiming "lifestyle impact"? The result: I am at 50% service-connected disability - all with the only service-connected documentation being my induction physical.

The company I went with was called Vet Comp & Pen, but they have since changed their name to Trajector Medical - a google search for either name will get you to their web page. They do charge for their service, but only if they are successful. If you're having problems getting the VA to accept your claim, or you think you don't have a valid claim, I'd say give these people a chance - you might be surprised!
So far my husband is doing fine on his own with disability claims. It just amazed us how brainless the staff in charge of evaluating the claims are. Thanks for the information.

About 3 weeks ago I started the process with Trajector Medical. They seemed very helpful initially and I provided them with my VA hearing loss documentation (fitted for hearing aids) plus induction and ETS physical which showed normal BP and then upon getting out showed high BP. They understood that I have taken BP meds for years and have developed a heart condition. They were pushing PTSD but since my "night terrors" have nothing to do with my time in VN I refused to fill out the questionnaire for that.

Initially they hinted I would probably be looking at 20% or more from the VA. Finally, I called them after they didn't get back to me for over a week. They simply said they would be unable to assist me at this time!

I suspect they are probably only doing the paperwork if they can make $2,500 or more. If my fee would have been less than $1,000 to them then I just don't think they want to mess with it. Very disappointed in them. I wish others good luck dealing with them though.

About 3 weeks ago I started the process with Trajector Medical. They seemed very helpful initially and I provided them with my VA hearing loss documentation (fitted for hearing aids) plus induction and ETS physical which showed normal BP and then upon getting out showed high BP. They understood that I have taken BP meds for years and have developed a heart condition. They were pushing PTSD but since my "night terrors" have nothing to do with my time in VN I refused to fill out the questionnaire for that.

Initially they hinted I would probably be looking at 20% or more from the VA. Finally, I called them after they didn't get back to me for over a week. They simply said they would be unable to assist me at this time!

I suspect they are probably only doing the paperwork if they can make $2,500 or more. If my fee would have been less than $1,000 to them then I just don't think they want to mess with it. Very disappointed in them. I wish others good luck dealing with them though.
So sorry for the time you trusted on this company. Remember they only paid attention if they can make big bucks 💯. You're the best advocate regarding your health and benefits. Yes it take time and patience but it can be done by yourself. Just don't take no from VA make them work , explain and to show you proof that the results of your evaluation are correct. Remember the language that the doctors have used during the doctor's visit can brake or make a claim. Always after a doctor visit if related to any claim request a copy of transcripts make a copy for you and take another one to VA counselor to follow up in claims. Unfortunately we do have lots of incompetent people working in VA offices. Good luck

Thanks Vick-Rose, when we are done traveling for the year and settled back in Florida I'll start getting my ducks in a row.

The recent laws passed by congress certainly should encourage any VN vet with high blood pressure to apply for benefits. Plus there is a ton of stuff in there for the younger gulf war vets!

Latest resources

Back