Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Valve stem extender issue on Freightliner/Accuride wheels, again!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yes internal sensors, require a special tool to remove valve caps and a long, straight inflator
Thanks Stuart. What kind of tool? I have been thinking of developing some type of tool that could be used to attach to the TPMS cap and be able to unscrew it…

Thanks Stuart. What kind of tool? I have been thinking of developing some type of tool that could be used to attach to the TPMS cap and be able to unscrew it…

Attachments

• FC8815DB-D1BD-4807-8A33-7ECBDD8B7528.png
    FC8815DB-D1BD-4807-8A33-7ECBDD8B7528.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Alcoa makes nice grommets for aluminum wheels to stabilize rear inside wheel valve stem https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZX9S1C5/?tag=rvf01-20
I don’t know what FL is using now, but for a long time they used Accuride Accu-shield wheels with sort of “D” shaped slots and they use these rubber isolators:
BBAD993F-FFE1-4028-BD0A-9DAC8455F6EF.jpeg
This is what happens to the valve stem extenders when the rubber isolators work loose from their position in the wheel slot:
FD63A779-D7D3-441E-BCC4-FF54B9072334.jpeg67401F04-87C8-4359-8F46-CA780CBE6A79.jpeg7C991A37-49CE-4917-859D-AC512EE381A9.jpeg

The first two pics are a valve stem extender I cleaned up for photos - you can see in the second pic that this stem was very close to failure. I watch them much more closely now.

Thanks Stuart. I need to figure out how to modify that tool to hold the sensors…. But I am thinking it will be tight in there to maneuver…

I’ll keep using the extenders and rubber isolators and I carry a couple spares of each, but as mentioned earlier, I installed the isolators with VHB tape and they haven’t moved since. This is far preferable to dealing with a short valve stem on inner wheel.

Good thought…. But I bet you would need to take the tire off to remove the extensions… no?
I have not tried in my DS, but I could on my Canyon Star. Wasn't very easy, but I was able to do it.

Latest resources

Back