Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

VERY DISCOURAGED. Travel Trailer vs Cargo Trailer Conversion?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Light weight means they cut corners on materials and construction techniques to keep the weight down.

Surf on over to the RPod (Forest River) website and review the warranty. Here's an excerpt:

This recreational vehicle is designed solely for its intended purpose of recreational camping and personal use. Warrantor makes no warranty with regard to any recreational vehicle used for commercial, rental, or business purposes, or any recreational vehicle not registered and regularly used in the United States or Canada. For purposes of this limited warranty, it shall be deemed conclusive evidence of commercial, rental, or business purposes if the recreational vehicle is licensed, titled, registered, or insured in the name of any corporation, LLC, or any other form of business or commercial entity.

Warranty may or may not be important to you. What is important is why the manufacture would only provide a warranty limited to recreational use. Of course this is because they know the light weight rigs will not stand up to full time use.
Yeah I can see that. I will get used anyway, and I have little choice right now. This is temporary-until I can get a home or something larger, like a C that can tow 10,000 pounds.

Based on what you have posted, the best choice for you would be a truck camper on your longbed truck. You will need to know the cargo carrying capacity of your truck. You can tow your other vehicle (hauling your supplies) behind your truck while carrying the camper. A plus is that, in most states, you do not need to tag/title/insure the camper because it is considered cargo. You will probably end up with a non-slideout truck camper. Some of these newer campers get very heavy and require an F350/3500 to carry the thing around. My daughter's camper is an older wood framed non-slideout Lance on an F250 (single tire axle). I suggest if you go the truck camper route, you can find a used truck camper on a lot of website (start looking on rvtrader.com to get an idea of prices) and remember that they all leak. All RVs leak or have leaked, no matter how new or old they are. Seal the roof when you first get it and you should be good. I would try to not get a camper with the big front window in the cabover (goes for Class Cs too) as that is a major leak area.

The longest time, nonstop, we have spent in the truck camper (two adults plus one 40lb dog) was three weeks. The camper is a non slideout 1998 Lance 815S. It really isn't a whole lot different, spacewise, than the older 22ft Midas Class C that we used to live in. It has everything the Class C had in it (no washer/dryer, has a "wet bath", has a furnace, has a roof air conditioner). My daughter's truck camper rolls every day. It is our daily driver since our town not only doesn't have public bathrooms at the city/county parks but the bathrooms in the stores tend to be out of order a lot. The truck is 21ft long over all with the camper PLUS the rear "porch" I built onto the back of the camper. We tend to take up two parking spaces. This is the dog's "house" since she goes to town when we both leave.

The thing about truck campers is, as you said, that they are quite heavy. My pickup is a 40 series Land Cruiser, a 45. My plan is to do a sort of camper on the back, yes, but either by building a metal framed "box" and then skin it with lightweight material, or somehow adapt an aluminum topper to it. Instead of a roof, it will have an AluCab conversion on it.
Basically this type of setup:
1713752409811.png

My issue right now is that this vehicle will not be ready for an other several months, so I have to use the FJ Cruiser in the meantime. That's why I need a little camper trailer, and am once gain leaning towards a used Casita. This is because they tend to be solid and well built, and keep their value, so I can sell it once this is ready to go.
I have observed my dogs many times via a video camera when I am not at home. They sleep all day on the sofa. Occasionally they play, and this is by wrestling on the sofa.
If I am doing the murals, I can walk them every couple of hours easily, and then afterwards go on a longer walk with them.
I would also use a small silent generator to run the AC while I am working. I would also set up an alert to tell me if the generator fails and if the temperature rises to something like 65 degrees or whatever is above what I set it for/is safe for the dogs.
It's not ideal, but I may have to do that for a few months until I either get the house or sell it. Then I can be at the house unless I have a mural job, or purchase a little cabin or something, respectively, and same thing.

Well I think you have covered about every possible option except a tent, good luck on your decision, they will all work to some extent, there are always sacrifices in life's journey

A single axle bunk house camper would be fully set up to camp with a Murphy bed in the front and bunk beds in the back that could be removed. I would guess, based on my recent shopping, that you could get one ~3700lbs dry so you could put some stuff in there to your imposed 4000klb limit, but not much. I've seen a few I can't recall off the top of my head, that had small rear doors that bikes could be loaded into or ladders in your case. The quality issue is a big sticking point, that plus my towing constraints, I've all but given up on shopping and enjoying as much tent camping as I can bear.

Ah, padawa!!!!
You hear freedom, but the call of the chain is strong!!!

The call of the heart should not be overlooked, and the chains can be loosed!

Freedom is not about traveling, but about following the heart, Seems you know this! However the message can still be blocked by those still in captivity.

I suggest you make your living with what you love, and quit worrying about how you will survive. It will all work out in the end!!! Especially if you do as you are suggesting.

As for your accommodations, I know those that live in a converted car and would not change a thing. If However you are called to freedom, an RV park will only distract you from the end goal! Any RV that will offer acceptance in most parks, will loose value when you modify it for your needs.

I converted a cargo trailer, and stayed where I wanted to be! That However is not where most people here find comfortable, so you must choose the world you want to live in, and work towards that goal. No matter the choice you make you will have lots of company!

For the record! I like cargo trailers. I don't like adding windows! there is no such thing as stealth! I prefer tandem axle! Mine has a hatch in the floor between the axles where I can put 4 31 series AGMS. I treat mine like a garage, and will likely always keep it down the road for storage!

My suggestions are based on my love for mother earth, and my dislike for what people are doing to it in the name of their crazy ambitions!!! Hopefully things will change before you can act on your plans!!! You might search " cheap RV living " on YouTube as part of your research.

Oh yes! I just delivered my good friends 1955 classic silver line trailer to an rv park where they don't typically accept "trailers that old !". We asked them if they would tell someone with a classic model T they could not park in the park. There she sits in all her 1955 glory, for all to admire!

Indeed! I agree with thee!
The thing is: I absolutely love model building and making things. But this may have to wait. What makes it difficult is that I am not getting any younger, and every time I have been ready to start my building, as in setting up a little spot, the rug gets pulled out from under me.

I am in a holding pattern at the moment, but should know which way to go in the next few weeks: latest by end of May.

I agree with your point about the Model T. Certain vintage things, if kept in order, are more desirable than new, and can be accepted. On my journey back in the old Land Cruiser HJ45, I stopped at a hotel and asked if I could park it at the front. The clerk looked at it and said "Yeah! That makes the hotel more attractive!"

I was homeless once, for a couple of months, in Flagstaff, Arizona. 7,000 feet in elevation, in February, in a little Jeep TJ with a soft top. Slept by taking out the passenger seat and putting a cooler there, then stretching a plywood board I found from the cooler to the board in the back that stretched over the two fenders. Layers of old blankets and tarps were my bed. Surplus wool blankets kept my dog and I alive.

I will find a way.

StoicMindset.jpg

the-mandalorian-luke-skywalker.gif

in the interim, perhaps watch some YouTube videos on overland camping and expos. It is amazing how vehicles are being outfitted. With your artistic mind, I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Good luck.

in the interim, perhaps watch some YouTube videos on overland camping and expos. It is amazing how vehicles are being outfitted. With your artistic mind, I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Good luck.
Thanks!
Been to the Overland Expo several times. Very cool vehicles indeed!
This is my idea for my HJ45:
HJ_CAMPER_CONCEPT_01.jpg

I have a YouTube channel where I documented driving my HJ from FL to NC and then AZ.

I also watch 4XOverland and The Essence of Overlanding, along with Slim Potatohead. Great channels!

Latest resources

Back