Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

VERY DISCOURAGED. Travel Trailer vs Cargo Trailer Conversion?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I will check out your channel, as well as the other channels you mentioned. Overland and Korean Tent Camping are my latest obessions. 😜

I will check out your channel, as well as the other channels you mentioned. Overland and Korean Tent Camping are my latest obessions. 😜
I'll have to check out Korean Tent Camping.
murraythankyou.gif

in the interim, perhaps watch some YouTube videos on overland camping and expos. It is amazing how vehicles are being outfitted. With your artistic mind, I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Good luck.
On that note, consider watching "sailing uma " on YouTube!

On that note, consider watching "sailing uma " on YouTube!
Interesting.
Indeed, sailors know how to live in tiny spaces!

My primary issue right now is that I have to go into a job, and I can't leave my dogs the car.
If my HJ was finished, I could leave them in that maybe, as it would have a pop-up top and lots of ventilation. I could also have a small military or cargo trailer for my tools etc. and with a silent generator to run AC in the HJ camper.
But the HJ still has a long way to go.
I may have to get a vintage type "canned ham" deal even.
Watched Cheap RV Living about the cargo trailer conversion, and that may wind up being necessary.
I don't know yet.

CheapRVLiving has a lot of information hidden in the interviews! Some of the important take aways would be the following.

Over all the videos, most participants say their conversion is a project that will always see improvements in the future!

Non-build out is a thing!!!

So basically a cargo is an empty canvas! It is square inside,so really easy to make it yours. No matter how you finish it, your money will find it's way back to you if you sell.

My custom built home on wheels projects are never finished. My boat was always upgraded, and my house before this life, was always being remodeled!

I can't imagine buying a painting by any other artists, I just don't fit the mold that way.

When I did the cargo, in one month it was ready to sustain us. mind you my vision for it was not what I had, but we could live in it.

This has always been my way. When I was ready to go into business, I started with a machine in the garage. Then I started marketing my abilities, even though I had to buy the tools needed for every job for quite a while.

I could have moved into the cargo in a week had I considered no build as an option. In the end it will become whatever you dream it to be.

I am partial to the bread loaf trailers. Caned Ham is only a roof leak away from a project. Neither maintain their value. But then, RV park rules and poorly built trailers are in my opinion designed to keep you a slave to the bankers!!!

I can see you are waking to this reality, and hear the frustration,that waking is presenting to you!!!

You will not break free from the chains least you change the rules you live by!

The best advice I was ever given was that anyone with a Skil could work only half a year to support themselves.

I hope my words will inspire you to break free!!!

CheapRVLiving has a lot of information hidden in the interviews! Some of the important take aways would be the following.

Over all the videos, most participants say their conversion is a project that will always see improvements in the future!

Non-build out is a thing!!!

So basically a cargo is an empty canvas! It is square inside,so really easy to make it yours. No matter how you finish it, your money will find it's way back to you if you sell.

My custom built home on wheels projects are never finished. My boat was always upgraded, and my house before this life, was always being remodeled!

I can't imagine buying a painting by any other artists, I just don't fit the mold that way.

When I did the cargo, in one month it was ready to sustain us. mind you my vision for it was not what I had, but we could live in it.

This has always been my way. When I was ready to go into business, I started with a machine in the garage. Then I started marketing my abilities, even though I had to buy the tools needed for every job for quite a while.

I could have moved into the cargo in a week had I considered no build as an option. In the end it will become whatever you dream it to be.

I am partial to the bread loaf trailers. Caned Ham is only a roof leak away from a project. Neither maintain their value. But then, RV park rules and poorly built trailers are in my opinion designed to keep you a slave to the bankers!!!

I can see you are waking to this reality, and hear the frustration,that waking is presenting to you!!!

You will not break free from the chains least you change the rules you live by!

The best advice I was ever given was that anyone with a Skil could work only half a year to support themselves.

I hope my words will inspire you to break free!!!
Years ago a friend had an old horse trailer and I thought of converting it. I didn't and he sold it. They look kind of neat-vintage sort of-compared to the cargo ones. Maybe that's an option if I can find a cheap one in good condition: depending on the weight.

Years ago a friend had an old horse trailer and I thought of converting it. I didn't and he sold it. They look kind of neat-vintage sort of-compared to the cargo ones. Maybe that's an option if I can find a cheap one in good condition: depending on the weight.
Horse trailer? You can buy one that has living quarters! You will need a bigger tow vehicle!

My cargo, tandom axel,16ft box. Curb weight 2200 lbs. GVW 7000 sprung weight. Last I weighed in 4800lbs. You will weight in much heavier with a horse trailer. I bought new in 2015 for 4800 out the door, and was able to finance. Today that trailer will sell for a tidy sum!

You will not save trying to find a bargain!!!

Horse trailer? You can buy one that has living quarters! You will need a bigger tow vehicle!

My cargo, tandom axel,16ft box. Curb weight 2200 lbs. GVW 7000 sprung weight. Last I weighed in 4800lbs. You will weight in much heavier with a horse trailer. I bought new in 2015 for 4800 out the door, and was able to finance. Today that trailer will sell for a tidy sum!

You will not save trying to find a bargain!!!
It was a two horse trailer: a small one. I wouldn't buy a big one.
I have to keep working this out.

It was a two horse trailer: a small one. I wouldn't buy a big one.
I have to keep working this out.
Although cargo trailers are strong, they don't compare in build. Horse trailers don't have the same market.

Resale may suffer.

Latest resources

Back